77 GS750 Rotor and Stator Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS750 Rotor and Stator Replacement

Hi fellas. I had a really weird thing happen last week. There I am riding through Adirondack State Park at near-warp speed when I decide to pull in to a gas station and fill up. As soon as I stop the bike, she quits. The motor will try to turn over, but there is something mechanical knocking around under the stator cover. One trailer ride home later, I remove the cover and find that one of the rotor magnets has become dislodged and is now loose between the rotor and stator. Of course, there isn't enough clearance between them so the magnet chewed some space out of the rotor so it would fit. I have never heard of anything like this happening.:?

Anyway, here's my question. I'm 99% sure I have Nippondenso parts (both rotor and stator) now. I'll have to go out in the garage in the morning and count the coils to be sure. There's a guy in Singapore that has a set of NOS Kokusan parts for me. I've checked the part numbers (he sent me pictures of the GSP labels) and they are the new stock numbers to replace the original Kokusan OEM parts. What I need to know is can I safely replace stock ND parts with the Kokus? I have read other posts and I know I cannot mix the two. Also, do I need to replace anything else (regulator, rectifier, etc.)?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :-D

Check out the stator papers and check your R/R which on your bike is two seperate units.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ND & KOS refer to the type of ign points . Not sure on the stator, it should be twelve pole. Last time I ordered from Singapore I NEVER got them
      Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2007, 07:46 PM.

Comment

You're right about the points, but...

I've checked the part numbers from 3 sources (BikeBandit, Motogrid and Alpha Sports). They all show the same illustrated parts catalog page for the generator and they all list seperate part numbers for a Kokusan and Nippondenso rotor and stator set. Also, in a thread posted here last May titled Stator Testing Question - '77 GS750, TONY.STEWART found out what happens if you put a Koku stator against an ND rotor.

I would very much like to know from whom you ordered your parts in Singapore...just in case it may be the same seller. Good info to have before I pay him. Do you remember who it was?

Comment

was an ebay seller. If you do order it PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD

Comment

Working...
          X