Transfer case oil levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer case oil levels

I recently bought a 1980 GS850G but I didn't get the original toolkit with the bike. My problem is checking the oil levels in the two transfer cases of the shaft drive since I don't have the original dipstick. Can anyone help with some dimensions or a sketch please?

I could be mistaken because you have planted a seed of doubt in my old brain, but you check the primary gear oil by placing the bike on the center stand and removing the phillips gear oil level screw located to the upper right of the shift shaft on the left side of the bike and fill Hypoid gear oil until it begins to weep out of the hole. Wish I had a pic for you. Maybe someone else does or search these forums. I bet there is one out there.
    The final drive oil is checked with the bike on the center stand, after removing the filler cap the hypoid oil should be right up to the bottom threads of the filler hole.
    I think Yamaha was the brand that needed a dipstick to check gear oils.

Comment

I am attaching a copy of the procedure from my manual.

Last edited by Steve; 07-19-2007, 03:58 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you very much for the info. I did own a XS1100 in the eighties so you're right, that's where the confusion comes from.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info

Comment

Working...
          X