trying to replace the stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to replace the stator

and found that there is a chewed up spot on the magnet ....along with major oil spillage all over my buddies garage live and learn i guess ...but will i have to replace the magnet part?????

also

does it matter which way you hook the wires up???? since the new one all 3 are same color

Comment

My take...

First, the wires are all the same, Suzuki made the wire colors different to confuse you. Any of the 3 yellows can attach to any of the original 3.

Second, for your magnet damage, perhaps posting a picture of it would be useful. I would guess if it can turn freely without contacting the stator it would be okay, only produce some minor variation in the field strength (i.e. current generated) as the damaged bit twirls around. Replacing that magnet is probably not an easy job.

Comment

Yeah the oil spillage was a surprise for me too. Clymer's didn't mention that the alternator was INSIDE the main case, and I assumed that an electrical part would be dry. Oops.

I did the little Dutch boy thing and held on 'till my sister-in-law brought a bowl.

As to the magnet damage, make sure you know how it occured, and what damage is lurking on the other side of that moving part - is the stator in good shape, or is it scraped too?

MarkF
        Mark Fisher
        sigpic
        ..............................27 years

Comment

what kind of bike do you have if u need i have a stator lying around for a gs550l 1980. i changed it when it didn't need to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
            Yeah the oil spillage was a surprise for me too. Clymer's didn't mention that the alternator was INSIDE the main case, and I assumed that an electrical part would be dry. Oops.

I did the little Dutch boy thing and held on 'till my sister-in-law brought a bowl.

As to the magnet damage, make sure you know how it occured, and what damage is lurking on the other side of that moving part - is the stator in good shape, or is it scraped too?

MarkF
            i picked 1 up brand new

Comment

1982 gs1100e

yeah its veryy chew at the bottom pics will be hard to take

Comment

anyone no were to get a replacment

the piece that rotates around the stator...or does some one have a spare there willing to sell

Comment

again what size bike do you have. i have a spare stator for a 80 gs550l

Comment

1982 gs 1100e

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
                    again what size bike do you have. i have a spare stator for a 80 gs550l
                    i swear i posted this

Comment

sorry i didn't see it in the title section. yeah i don't think mine will work for ya sorry i tried.

Comment

Working...
                      X