X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent CAM Chain replacement

Hi Folks:

I noted a small apparent stretch in my cam chain

I have to use a vernier to make sure but the pin to pin distance of 23 is corect and the timing mark is also correct

exhaust and timing line up fine

intake is slightly retarded as indicated by the groove in the end of the cam which is supposed to line up with the top edge of the cyllinder head case

maybe im paranoid or maybe its the adjuster

Icant imagine that the timing mark and the exhaust mark would be ok and hte intake not as that would mean to my mind that the chain had stretched in one part of its length and not in others.

it is a silent type not a roller chain and there does not appear to be an aftermarkent offering

So when I buy the OEM part which appears to be an endless type chain can i Split and rejoin it to avoid cracking the engine cases?

anyone ever done this with a silent chain before?

Unfortunately, to replace the cam chain, you have to split the cases.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can "break" a cam chain, pull it through and put it back together with a rivet master link. I wouldnt split the cases.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Tip #23 Cam Chain Replacement
        As you know, there are two ways to replace a #412 style silent camchain. The first one is to split the cases apart if the chain sprocket is not located at the end of the crankshaft. This method requires a lot of shop time and money. The other method is one that I've used for the last 13 years with 100% success. It deals with cutting the chain. First, you must purchase the Motion Pro tool called Camchain cutting and riveting tool. Once you have access to the old camchain (from camshaft area), you drive out one of the pins on the chain right thru with the tool. You also drive out a pin on the new chain, but not completely out, since you will want later to redrive that same pin in for reconnection. You then connect the new chain onto the old chain by using safety wire, spacing the two links as if there was a continuous link. Then slowly and manually rotate the crankshaft until the new chain emerges from the engine. Note that the camshafts must be removed before this procedure as a valve may hit a piston during rotation. Then disconnect the two chains, and toss out the old one. Now is the time to reconnect the ends. Use one of the cam sprockets and roll the ends on it. This facilitates alignment and operation if you're alone to do it. When the holes on the chain are aligned, use the tool to drive the pin back in until it emerges at the other end by the same distance each side. Then carefully rivet the end ensuring that it slightly mushrooms both sides, but doesn't actually break the end of the pin. Finally check for absence of kinks or stiffness on that link. I have replaced several chains that way without any comebacks over the years. But it must be done right! A tip from an A.M.I. graduate located in Canada.

Found this here....

Might help you!

Comment

Working...
        X