Manual - Clymers or Suzuki...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual - Clymers or Suzuki...

Which manual would be better (ie clear pictures, step-by-step instruction for every little detail) for a complete newbie when it comes to repair and servicing?

I don't mind spending the extra 10 for the Suzuki if it has more detail/info.

Thanks.

I have both a Clymer and a Haynes... Haynes is the best, very details, good pictures for locating things that need some visual assistance, all in all an excellent book. I found the Clymer to be a little bit less than usefull but makes good reference when you need a second opinion (also a bigger book, though I have not really been able to find anything in my Haynes yet).

Don't know about the Suzuki service manual, should be good I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by kurifu View Post
      I have both a Clymer and a Haynes... Haynes is the best, very details, good pictures for locating things that need some visual assistance, all in all an excellent book. I found the Clymer to be a little bit less than usefull but makes good reference when you need a second opinion (also a bigger book, though I have not really been able to find anything in my Haynes yet).

Don't know about the Suzuki service manual, should be good I imagine.
      So you are unhappy with the Clymer? I'll see if I can find a Haynes online somewhere...anyone have any experience with the Suzuki one...?

Thanks for you help.

Comment

I have both the Cylmer and the Suzuki manual and they've been fine for me. I've used them to pull brakes, forks, top end of the motor, carbs apart. I like to cross check, so two manuals helps.

But I've not used the Haynes and so can't give you an opinion on it.

Comment

I've had the opposite (bad) experience with Haynes. My fav is Suzuki shop manual with Clymer a close runner-up. I had both for my 650 and there were occasions where one would fill in for the other.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            I have both the Cylmer and the Suzuki manual and they've been fine for me. I've used them to pull brakes, forks, top end of the motor, carbs apart. I like to cross check, so two manuals helps.

But I've not used the Haynes and so can't give you an opinion on it.
            Thanks Mark. Do you have preference between the 2...? Or do you find that one is sometimes better than the other with no clearcut favorite?

Unfortunately I am not made of money , so I can only get one...

Thanks again for you help!

Comment

i have the Clymer and it is thorough enough for everything i have done so far. good tables, index, etc. using my friend's Honda Haynes manual and it covers more models than his specifically; having a lot of information mixed in that didn't apply specifically to his bike. a lot of "For models with... On water cooled engines... etc" and photos of other layouts. it leads to a lot more flipping around with greasy hands. i find my Clymers easier to follow with more pertinent information for my specific model. but that is my opinion and my bikes...

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                I've had the opposite (bad) experience with Haynes. Best is Suzuki shop manual with Clymer a close runner-up. I had both for my 650 and there were occasions where one would fill in for the other.
                Thanks! I think I will go with the Suzuki - just one question - is the Suzuki shop manual the same as the Suzuki Service manual in the link I have at the top, or are they different?

Thanks to all for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
                  Thanks! I think I will go with the Suzuki - just one question - is the Suzuki shop manual the same as the Suzuki Service manual in the link I have at the top, or are they different?

Thanks to all for your help!
                  Hmm... I haven't a clue! In fact, I don't even remember which Suzuki manual I had for my 650. Sorry!

Comment

I have acquired all three over the years and still use the Clymer more than the other two. Check your local library and see if they have the Haynes and Clymer manuals, ours here in Va Beach have them both on the shelves. Look them over and decide which one works for you. The Clymers are 20-25 bucks all over the web and sometimes cheaper on Ebay (unless you get raped on the shipping charges).

Comment

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
                      Thanks Mark. Do you have preference between the 2...? Or do you find that one is sometimes better than the other with no clearcut favorite?

Unfortunately I am not made of money , so I can only get one...

Thanks again for you help!
                      I actually have to say that the Cylmer manual has often had info. that the Suzuki manual did not. If I had to make a choice between the two options you've provided, that's how I would go. But again, those two are all I've had any experiece with.

When I was boring my block, measuring pistons, setting ring gaps and all that, I used both manuals and called cycle shops etc. just to make sure there were no screw-ups.

But if you're just doing standard, routine maintenance, a Cylmer would be fine from my point of view. And a little cheaper Hang around a bit and see what others say......

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                        Hmm... I haven't a clue! In fact, I don't even remember which Suzuki manual I had for my 650. Sorry!
                        :-D No problem - thanks for the input and help!

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                          I actually have to say that the Cylmer manual has often had info. that the Suzuki manual did not. If I had to make a choice between the two options you've provided, that's how I would go. But again, those two are all I've had any experiece with.

When I was boring my block, measuring pistons, setting ring gaps and all that, I used both manuals and called cycle shops etc. just to make sure there were no screw-ups.

But if you're just doing standard, routine maintenance, a Cylmer would be fine from my point of view. And a little cheaper Hang around a bit and see what others say......
                          Thanks.

It seems like there are quite differing opinions between owners. It does seem like the Clymers is the most common though.

Thanks for everyones advice and input. Keep it coming - the more informed I am, the better!! :-D

Comment

i haven't found where Clymer's makes a book for my bike. 79 GS100EN (chain drive). the only thing that comes close is the bike for the shaft drive, so i picked it up figuring it's better than nothing.

similar situation with the Haynes. i can only find a book for the 4V engine, not my 'lowly' 2V.

guess it's time to pony up for the Suzuki book!

Mike

Comment

Both Clymer & Haynes have the manuals for the chain driven GS 1000's. The title says 1977 thru 1980 GS1000 Fours. That doesn't mean 4 valve, it means 4 cylinder. There were no 4 valve engines before 1980, no GS 1000's that weren't 4 cylinder, & they are on e-bay, all the time.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X