Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally cured my staring problem

Hi all.

After suffering for two years with a three cylinder starting problem that clears once the bike is warm, I have finally fixed the problem. Why is it always the last thing you damn change.
    I replaced the points with a Boyer ignition kit.
    I replaced the plugs numerouse times.
    I replaced the spark plug caps.
    I stripped and cleaned the carbs
    I balanced and set the carbs.
    I soldered all the wiring connectors on the ignition circuit.
    I even replaced the battery.
    each time the problem seemed to go away and then come back again.
    I finally replaced the ignition coils with some pattern parts.
    Bike starts on all four cylinders and does not miss a beat, fantastic.
    Problem now is that the engine is so smooth that I can hear every rattle
    that comes from it when ticking over.
    What is that anying rhythmic rattle that comes from the bottom of the engine at idle, sounds like the noise a train makes as it crosses the joints in the track when going real slow?.

Phil :?

Re: Finally cured my staring problem

Originally posted by phil page
    Hi all.

After suffering for two years with a three cylinder starting problem that clears once the bike is warm, I have finally fixed the problem. Why is it always the last thing you damn change.
    I replaced the points with a Boyer ignition kit.
    I replaced the plugs numerouse times.
    I replaced the spark plug caps.
    I stripped and cleaned the carbs
    I balanced and set the carbs.
    I soldered all the wiring connectors on the ignition circuit.
    I even replaced the battery.
    each time the problem seemed to go away and then come back again.
    I finally replaced the ignition coils with some pattern parts.
    Bike starts on all four cylinders and does not miss a beat, fantastic.
    Problem now is that the engine is so smooth that I can hear every rattle
    that comes from it when ticking over.
    What is that anying rhythmic rattle that comes from the bottom of the engine at idle, sounds like the noise a train makes as it crosses the joints in the track when going real slow?.

The big GS motorcycles are well known for their noisy timing chain...I would be willing to bet that is what you hear.

Hap

Comment

Hi Hap.

It is very low on the engine, posibly the starter drive chain.

Comment

Then cover your eyes!

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

Then cover your eyes!

Nick
          Ditto!

Comment

Cover my eyes, I want to see what I am going to hit!!!!
            At least I can say Damn GS brakes are worthless now.

Phil 8O

Comment

BTW - it's the last thing you change because you don't need to change anything more!

I edited this post to remove a comment about the starter drive chain. My bike doesn't have one but maybe yours does.

Comment

Phil,

I have noticed the intermittent idle rattle on all three of my GS's. The 77 GS750 is the bike with the loudest, most frequent and most noticable rattle (like I said, intermittent with a raggae rhythm). It will often manifest while the bike is idling on the side stand, so it appears to be effected by the position of the bike. On the 750 the sound seems to be coming from the left side of the head, so I suspect it to be from end play in one of the camshafts. Sometimes it seems to be from the bottom end, so I'm thinking gear endplay on one of the shafts. I have ridden the bike over 15,000 miles with no noticable increase in volume or frequency so it doesn't worry he anymore. It can be rather embarrassing at a stop light, however, when brightly dressed people with dreadlocks begin to congregate and dance.

I have done all the camchain adjustments (including dismantling the adjuster and relubing it), valve lash check, plugs, ignition, bla, bla, bla, but to no avail. The sound does appear more frequently and consistantly when the bike it in need of tuning.

Don't worry, mon. Ride on and be happy.

Blaine

Comment

It will rattle

I have owned atleast one bike from the top 4 manufacture of jap bikes, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. They will all have a timing chain clatter even when adjusted properly with auto tensioner or manual adjust. It is especially noticed when bike is on side stand.

Louie

Comment

My 79 750 is the same way. Start it up cold sitting leaning on the side stand and you would swear something is just about to come loose in the engine.
                    Stand it up and the noise instantly decreases by about 50% and once warm the noise is down to about 10%. :-) :-) My noise seems to come from the valve cover area, but I have never been able to pinpoint the exact location.

Earl

[quote="Junkman Frankenbiker"]Phil,

I have noticed the intermittent idle rattle on all three of my GS's. The 77 GS750 is the bike with the loudest, most frequent and most noticable rattle (like I said, intermittent with a raggae rhythm). It will often manifest while the bike is idling on the side stand, so it appears to be effected by the position of the bike.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkman Frankenbiker
                      Phil,

I have noticed the intermittent idle rattle on all three of my GS's. The 77 GS750 is the bike with the loudest, most frequent and most noticable rattle (like I said, intermittent with a raggae rhythm). It will often manifest while the bike is idling on the side stand, so it appears to be effected by the position of the bike. On the 750 the sound seems to be coming from the left side of the head, so I suspect it to be from end play in one of the camshafts. Sometimes it seems to be from the bottom end, so I'm thinking gear endplay on one of the shafts. I have ridden the bike over 15,000 miles with no noticable increase in volume or frequency so it doesn't worry he anymore. It can be rather embarrassing at a stop light, however, when brightly dressed people with dreadlocks begin to congregate and dance.

I have done all the camchain adjustments (including dismantling the adjuster and relubing it), valve lash check, plugs, ignition, bla, bla, bla, but to no avail. The sound does appear more frequently and consistantly when the bike it in need of tuning.

Don't worry, mon. Ride on and be happy.

Blaine
                      Hi Junkman.

Yeah thats about right, I spoke to an ageing bike mechanic friend, and he said this.
                      You have to have some play in the starter drive chain and this rattles at idle, and there are no bushes on the cams to take up the end float so thay rattle when the bike is on sidestand, It is very rhythmic and all you need is a guitar and then you can start a 2 piece band.......
                      I have doen around 15000 miles on it and it has always done it, I t is more noticable now that I have dumped the noisy 4into1 and put on a standard style 4into2 exhaust system (Much less noise).

Phil 8O

Comment

Speaking of benign rattles: In 1971, I had a '69 Honda CB750K0. It had a chunkitty-chunk rattle in the bottom end that caused me distress. I tore the engine apart three times trying to find the cause, but to no avail. I was later told that all the first generation CB750s had that rattle. It was from the clutch basket and was supposed to be there. I'm certain that I did more harm than good tearing it apart like that. I was too unskilled to recognise a problem if I did come across one. I did get to see the inside of the engine though. Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                        X