Swingarm bearings 1981 GS 1100 E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm bearings 1981 GS 1100 E

Can they be pushed out with a shop press? Put a socket on top and push the whole thing straight through, center spacer and all, then flip it over and push the other one back out?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2007, 09:35 AM.

...beat mine out with a pipe and a sledge.

The center spacer isn't captive between the bearings. Remove the inner race/bushing thingies and the spacer will come right out, so I don't think pressing like what will work.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      ...beat mine out with a pipe and a sledge.

The center spacer isn't captive between the bearings. Remove the inner race/bushing thingies and the spacer will come right out, so I don't think pressing like what will work.
      Oops I thought it was a captive spacer, hard to tell from the book. Ok I'll have to come up with a different plan. My neighbor has a machine shop in his garage so we should be able figure out something. Thanks for the info.

Comment

One of my bearings came out with minimal beating. The other one was stuck (rusted) in there good. So I grabbed an ice cube and rubbed it around inside, hoping to shrink the thing a bit (cage and rollers already destroyed, only outer race remaining). Knocked right out after that.

Comment

I just pounded the bearings out of my VX800 swingarm (similar setup to what you're talking about) with a large drift and a hammer.

Clearly, finesse is the wrong approach here. Hulk SMASH!!!! Hrrgggh gghhhaaggrrggh!

Use the press or gentle tapping to place the new bearings, though.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

It's one of those situations where you actually do need a bigger hammer

Comment

I have a special tool to press in the new bearings if you need it.

Hap

Comment

Working...
              X