Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Parts (Head) cleaner?

82 650GL
    Hey guys, I finally have the parts to put my bike together again. I was wondering if there is a product I can use to clean my head before I put it on. It has been in my truck and probably has a bit of dirt in/on it. Any recommendations would be great. Also, any tips and tricks for putting my head back on and everything would be great as well. Thanks everyone!

If it's just loose dirt you're worried about, just spray it off with compressed air. If it is a little worse than that, spray it with some aerosol brake cleaner - just make sure you don't get it on the rubber valve seals, as some of those cleaners don't play well with rubber

Comment

I stripped my head completely and used Berrymans. I brushed it on and let it sit and all the crud came right off. Don't let this stuff touch your valve stem seals though.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Great, thanks for the help. I was thinking brake parts cleaner. Its very light. I also need to clean the gasket surfaces well too, but I know there is gasket remover, so I think I will try that as well. Thanks.

PS. Does brake parts cleaner hurt paint (like on the frame)?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
          Great, thanks for the help. I was thinking brake parts cleaner. Its very light. I also need to clean the gasket surfaces well too, but I know there is gasket remover, so I think I will try that as well. Thanks.

PS. Does brake parts cleaner hurt paint (like on the frame)?
          I'm in the same situation as you, and brake parts cleaner is the recommendation for final cleaning just prior to assembly. It works well and dries quickly. Brake parts cleaner won't work very well for removing gasket material.

Cleaning gasket material off the head and block can take time, even with a good gasket remover. Take the time needed.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X