engine spins but doesn't catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine spins but doesn't catch

I am a proud owner of a 1984 GS 550 es. I have had the bike for about three years now but now when I try to start it, the engine will just spin but wont acutally start. Any thoughts on what is happening or what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks.

You need fuel, air, and spark (at the right time I might add) to have a fire, ie a runnig engine. Without actually seeing and hearing what's happening when you hit the starter it's a shot in the dark. Is the starter actually engaging? Did this just happen out of the blue or has it been getting harder to start as time goes by? If you can be a little more specific I'm certain there are plenty of people that can help you. The more details the better.

Comment

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire....

Gotta have fuel, fire, and compression in the right amount and time to have a running engine. The easiest one to check is fire which you take off one of the spark plug wires and attach it to a spare spark plug hold it to a grounded surface (like the head) and see if have a spark when you crank the engine over. Compression you need a gauge to accurately check and fuel can be checked by seeing if you have unburnt fuel covering the spark plugs (after a failed start attempt) or by ruling out compression and fire leaving just fuel as the problem.

In any case good luck and hope your mechanically inclined or well off enough to afford a bike mechanic. Considering bikes are smaller than cars, bike mechanics charge more to work on a bike per hour than a car mechanic would for a car so it really pays to wrench as much of your own stuff as possible.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. When I hit my starter button (when the bike has been sitting for a couple of hours) it will start right up and I can drive it just fine. But if I bring it home and try starting it again within a half hour, you can hear it spin in a high pitched noise, very fast. But then again if I let it sit for a couple of hours, it will start right up with no problem. To me it seems like the starter clutch is not engaging. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Comment

I'm confused. Do you hear the engine turning, & won't fire up?? or do you hear the starter & starter gear turning but the engine isn't turning. If only the starter & starter gear is turning, & crankshaft (engine) isn't, your starter clutch is at fault
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sorry for all of the confusion, thanks for holding in there with me. As described, it starts when cold (or has been sitting for awhile). But when I start it up right after I shut it down, I can only hear the starter spinning (high pitched and fast sounding). Just the other day I was riding it around and it just died on me. This is in addition to the previous problem. But once I let it sit for a couple of hours again, it started right up. It seems like heat has something to do with it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X