Tire size and pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size and pressure

Can anybody tell me the stock size tires on a 1980 GS850G. How much pressure do you guys run in your tires?

The tires on my bike are like new the front is a Dunlop Gold Seal F11 Size 110/90-19
    The rear is a Dunlop K627 a Size 130/90-17

They both say 41 psi max on them but that sounds a little high to me. I run a lot by myself and a lot with two of us on the bike. I want to get the best ride I can for both ways.

Anybody have any idea of a good rear shock to give a little smoother ride?

The Tire Sizes are the Correct Stock Sizes. I'm Running Dunlop Elites on My 850 at the Factory Recommended Air Pressure with No Complaints But I'm a Bit of a Corner Carver so I prefer a Stiffer Ride.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I seem to remember that dunlop offered specific air pressure recommendations per bike, per tire, on their web site. Others say consult your owners manual, or just leave ya hanging.

Comment

Hi Mr. jforce11,

Feel free to check out my personal tire experience here:

"Normal", "stock", "regular" size for our 850's are as you state. Two up riding usually requires a little more air pressure. Someone much wiser than I posted a tire pressure procedure. It went something like this:

Start with the factory recommended pressure. Take a spin for an hour or so to heat up your tires, riding as you normally do most of the time. Stop and check your air pressure. If the pressure has gone up more than 10%, your cold pressure is too low. If the pressure has gone up significantly less than 10%, your cold pressure is too high.

Say you start with 36psi, ride for an hour, then measure 38-39psi, you're doing OK. If you measure 40psi or more, then your cold pressure is too low. If you measure 37psi, your cold pressure is too high.

On my old set of tires I started at 36psi, then measured 42psi after they warmed up. I started running with 38psi to "level out" the cold and warm pressures. I don't think it's an exact science. You'll have to record, measure and adjust. But it's a safe bet to use the manufacturer's recommendations. Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks

Thank you everyone I will give it a try and see what I get.

Comment

2.5kg/m2 frt.... 2.9kg/m2 rr
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
              2.5kg/m2 frt.... 2.9kg/m2 rr
              Mr. derwood,

Please forgive my ignorance. 2.5 kilograms per square meter? My tires aren't square, they're round! :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Suzuki put a sticker on the bike listing the "recommended pressure". My 550T has the sticker on the rear fender but I've seen them on the chain guard (no good for a G) and under the seat. Look around on the bike.

In general the OE cold tire pressure is typically in the 28-33 range depending on the loading (two up riding requires more pressure). I would not recommend running the tires up near the high limit for the tires unless you are loading the bike to the max - higher pressures reduce the contact patch unless the bike is loaded.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I run 28F & 32R on mine from memory.... It's the factory recommended for 1 up high speed continuous or 2 up pootling round town which fairly accurately describes most of my mileage....

I've run high & lower, it doesn't make that much difference that I can feel.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X