Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard shifting into second

Hey All.
    Another problem with my 79 550. When the bike is cold(first ten minutes or so) I have a really hard time getting it into second gear. After that it shifts pretty good. It will go through the other gears fine and is ok on the down shift into second, but that first couple UP can be a real bear.
    I have changed the oil several times and it didn't seem to help.
    any suggestions?
    z

Clutch adjustment. Plus these are cold blooded beasts.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I had/have a simillar problem on my GS850, what I discovered by accident is that it was a LOT easier to shift into 2nd when you "speed shift" (Move the shift lever and they soonest possible moment while just touching the clutch).

Comment

Originally posted by zodeo View Post
        Hey All.
        Another problem with my 79 550. When the bike is cold(first ten minutes or so) I have a really hard time getting it into second gear. After that it shifts pretty good. It will go through the other gears fine and is ok on the down shift into second, but that first couple UP can be a real bear.
        I have changed the oil several times and it didn't seem to help.
        any suggestions?
        z
        I live where it is now 90F and still let the bike warm up 3-5 minutes before taking off. I consider it "warm" when I don't have to use the choke or the throttle to keep it running. Also keep the oil near the full mark as it will shift better. Aluminum, oil and steel don't expand at the same rate. When I lived up North CT @ 60F I would have to let it idle for at least 10 minutes with choke on 2k before riding or it would stall. It would take approx. 20 minutes of riding to get the thing up to normal temp. and work correctly 100%.

Comment

I agree with the warm it up theory. All machines should be warmed up - cars, bikes, tractors - you name it.
          I rarely use the clutch at all on bikes. If you get the revs right it should slip from gear to gear without any hassles.

Comment

Working...
          X