Fork Flex question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Flex question

My 750e seems to have quite a bit of fork flex when I am riding fast. I know this is normal due to the small fork tube diameter. I don't really think a fork brace will make that huge of a difference for the price of it. My question is what have others doen to their bikes to minimize fork flex? I know I can convert to a newer front end but I really like to look of stock. Racers from the past used to go fast as hell on these old bikes and I would like to know what my options are.

Not sure there is anything you can do to the stock fork other than add a brace as you alluded to.

As a side note, I used to hang out on a Kawasaki EX500 forum and the racers there stated that fork braces are a waste of money (on that model anyway) since the bike tracked better if you just let the forks float around independantly. Not sure this is applicable for a GS Suzuki but there you have it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
      Racers from the past used to go fast as hell on these old bikes and I would like to know what my options are.
      The guys that were going fast weren't using stock front ends either.

Comment

what were they using? I would like to stick with stuff from the era the bike was made.

Comment

a few friends race the EARLYSTOCKS series here in england-known as OILY STOCKS-one of the top suspention guys here removed a brace from a mates bike fitted up rated springs,serviced the damping stacks-and BALANCED the wheel to the tyre-the rider reported total transformation-and went on to win this long standing,highly contested championship last season-first time out!
          after over twenty years-even if low mileage springs - and all the other components can degenerate-a skilled technition can do wonders with the standard units-but as always its money.
          i would always go to a dirtbike guy for suspention-they have way more builds a season than road race stuff and know what works

Comment

I've read alot about suspention over the last few months as I have a 1098 duke that is way to soft. It's all over rated for a road rider like me, I ride pretty hard but dont race. With the Suzi I just put a few spacers in to beef up the springs and replaced the oil with the heavyest weight stuff I can find. That's what I did in the old days and that's what I did when I got my lastest GS, the front end feels heaps better, it still flexes but handles fine, no wobbles, and I can get here around the bends alot quiker than alot of these young boy racers on their sports bikes and knee scrapers.

Comment

Get yer springing right and set up the damping with oil grade changes. Remember forks have 2 springs, the big steel curly one and the air gap. Some even raise the air pressure in the forks (1100's do). I use 7.5 grade fork oil and fiddle with the oil level (quantity) to get my springing right. Make sure your wheel is dead centre between the lower fork tubes and balanced with a good quality tyre on it. Make sure that the wheel alignment is good. Do a sag check on it and thats about all you can do with these old girls to be restored to a good ride.

Comment

I already did progressive springs, spacers to set preload, and oil. I was thinking of installing a set of gold valves. My question revolves more around fork flex than anything else. My 83 1100e does not flex anywhere near as much as the 750. It has larger diameter forks than the 750 but I think by only 2mm.

Comment

You can check fork alignment, that might help you narrow things down:

Get a flat piece of metal or glass about 3 inches wide and long enough to span both fork tubes.

Lay the metal plate across the bar chrome part of the fork tubes, and rock it across corner like a chair with a short leg. If it rocks your forks are tweaked. If it lays flat without much movement (less than a 1/16") your OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Not sure there is anything you can do to the stock fork other than add a brace as you alluded to.
                    As a side note, I used to hang out on a Kawasaki EX500 forum and the racers there stated that fork braces are a waste of money (on that model anyway) since the bike tracked better if you just let the forks float around independently...
                    Not sure what they meant there, since the brace connects the lower legs of the forks, not the top. I have one on my KZ, and it did improve the handling.

Comment

Well I know a fork brace got rid of the "gollywobbles" on the Concours in high speed sweepers. I'd sure consider one.

Comment

superbrace does not list a brace for my bike. any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                        X