85 550L:Won't Fire(start), Grinds slowly when Cranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 550L:Won't Fire(start), Grinds slowly when Cranking

Hopefully the title was full of information, but I'll elaborate.
    Bike: 1985 GS 550L with 14k miles.

When I turn the key, all the lights come on, high-beam works, turn signals come on.

Problem1: When trying to start the bike (press the start button), I get a click and the (+) battery cable gets hot enough to melt the rubber cap. I used a precision screwdriver to connect the cable to the battery (out of laziness) and the screwdriver got hot enough to melt through the battery terminal.

Problem 2: Got the battery charged up and screwed the cables on tightly. When I press the start button, the starter sounds like it's grinding and the lights go dim, but it doesn't sound like I'm getting any spark to the combustion chamber.

Eventually, the battery drains and I just get a click and then nothing.

Checked the fuses: they are good.
    Pulled the cover off the wiring harness: I can't see anything bad, but you never know. .
    Pulled the connections from the Horns in case they were shorting. . .
    And I ran through many of the checks in this thread:
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

There is a good mechanic here in Alexandria, VA, but I'll have to tow it and I don't know when it will come back ready.

I would like to know what needs to be done before I drag it in there for unknown electrical work and a $270 carb job.

Thanks,
    Damien

Make sure that all your ground connections are CLEAN and use some dielectric grease on them when you put things back together. Is this problem something that just started and has it worked well in the past? If it is not a connection issue, you may be looking at tearing into the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Make sure that all your ground connections are CLEAN and use some dielectric grease on them when you put things back together. Is this problem something that just started and has it worked well in the past? If it is not a connection issue, you may be looking at tearing into the starter.
      There was a bad rainy October last year that pummelled my bike and it hasn't been the same since.

It ran ok before hand. Needed a carb job, but it ran fine.

Comment

That kind of heat at your battery indicates a short or an overload. Since you say the starter is GRINDING that would indicate a problem in the starter or starter clutch.

Comment

yup my money would be on a short internal to the starter

Comment

Clean the ground connections from battery and crankcase and use dielectric grease. Do the same with the positive side of battery and both ends of the solenoid and the starter itself. Use a fine grade sandpaper. If the starter needs rebuilt try here for parts. http://www.stockers.com/

If it's your starter clutch try Ebay for a used one. My bets on the starter itself but a bad ground will create the heat that you are experiencing.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Guys,
              Thanks for all the help. I will try to apply everything you guys have said. . .just as soon as the locksmith comes by and replaces my broken key.

I'll keep you posted so that this information can be used for future diagnosis.

Damien

Comment

The starter on my 1000GL has been giving me grief lately. I cleaned the contact button in the right handle switch and that seemed to help. But yesterday when I removed the starter cover to get access to the stator wires , I found this.

It appears that the wire had rubbed through where it went through the starter cavity and was grounding out on the engine case. Every time you hit the starter, the cable between the cut and the end got real hot. The rubber cover melted into a glob and the wire turned hard as a rock.

Comment

Working...
                X