starting prolem gs1000l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting prolem gs1000l

when i hand crank at signal generator i get good spark.when using starter i get no spark till end of crank. voltage drops at battery to about 11 volts during crank .would appreciate some clue to problem. thanks, neville:-|

Disconnect your started and use an ohmmeter to check the resistance across the terminals of the started (Must be fully disconnected for this to work properly).

Are the battery posts getting significantly hot when you crank the starter?

Does the starter sound like it is turning over as fast as it should be?

Also check to make sure all your ground connection, and connections for your iginition's primary coils are clean, same with any wires connecting to the battery.

When you have the resistance measure on the started send me a PM please, I will check it against the readings on my bike, it is possible that you have a short in the starter windings (you can also check this by trying to push start, this should work).

Comment

Sounds like your battery is basically shot. Try jumper cables to your car battery WITH THE CAR ENGINE NOT RUNNING. If it works then, your battery is weak and just does not have enough reserve to fire the coils at the same time the starter is drawing all it needs. If you are going to get a new battery, consider one of the sealed AGM batteries. Many people mistakenly call them "gel-cell" batteries, but there is no gel in them. They are totally sealed, you never have to check the fluid level \\/ and they have better cranking capacity. The only downside is that they cost a bit more. I think it was only about $50-55. But they tend to last longer.

I just looked and Batteries Plus has them on sale for $51.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sounds like your battery is basically shot. Try jumper cables to your car battery WITH THE CAR ENGINE NOT RUNNING. If it works then, your battery is weak and just does not have enough reserve to fire the coils at the same time the starter is drawing all it needs. If you are going to get a new battery, consider one of the sealed AGM batteries. Many people mistakenly call them "gel-cell" batteries, but there is no gel in them. They are totally sealed, you never have to check the fluid level \\/ and they have better cranking capacity. The only downside is that they cost a bit more. I think it was only about $50-55. But they tend to last longer.

I just looked and Batteries Plus has them on sale for $51.

thank you for your reply.i have anew battery and still have the same problem. ihave hooked up two batteries and still have the prblem. another member has suggested i pull starter and check resistance. i will do that shortly and post results.thanks again

Comment

i have been trying everything,though ihave not checked resistance at starter. starter has cranked good but i will try your suggestion and post results. thanks again

Comment

Clean all the connections from the battery to solenoid and solenoid to starter with a fine grade sand paper and apply some dielectric grease. Do the same with the battery ground (negative) from battery to engine crankcase. Hell, get happy with this method all over your wiring system.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by kurifu View Post
              Disconnect your started and use an ohmmeter to check the resistance across the terminals of the started (Must be fully disconnected for this to work properly).

Are the battery posts getting significantly hot when you crank the starter?

Does the starter sound like it is turning over as fast as it should be?

Also check to make sure all your ground connection, and connections for your iginition's primary coils are clean, same with any wires connecting to the battery.

When you have the resistance measure on the started send me a PM please, I will check it against the readings on my bike, it is possible that you have a short in the starter windings (you can also check this by trying to push start, this should work).
              pulled starter and checked no load .pulled cover off starter and checked rresistance between brush terminals starts at 126 ohms and then open.did find one of brushes not insulated so i insulated .i am going to put back in motorcycle and see if that works. will post result .

Comment

put back starter and problem still exists. i am stumped; any suggestions ?

Comment

figured out problem; wiring was wrong ;made correction and got lots of good spark. will put everthig back together and hopefully have a bike to ride. thank you to all members who offered suggestions. thanks again,neville\\/

Comment

Working...
                  X