Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL carb questions

All,

Sorry for posting what is probably the same old question yet again but I couldn't find what I'm looking for using the search function.

I just got an 82 GS850GL. Previous owner allowed it to sit out on his porch for a couple of years and the carbs got nice and green inside. I've cleaned them out and they are back on the bike but it will only fire, rev to about 4 thousand RPM, drop back down slowly to 0 and stop. So:

1. What should the initial setting on the throttle adjuster screw be (how many turns in or out from full stop)?

2. Is there an initial setting for the throttle cable adjuster? PO had the adjuster full off the bike.

3. For setting the floats on the CV type carbs, can they be set with the carbs upside down (floats facing up)? Or should they be set with the carbs sideways (float hinge up and floats just resting on the needle valve)?

Thanks!

Jim

A) The carbs aren't clean. The idle circuits are still plugged solid.

1) There is no standard initial setting for the throttle adjuster screw as far as number of turns. Bench sync the carbs, then set this initially so that it just barely doesn't touch. Start the bike, the screw it in so that it will maintain an idle. Sync the carbs and readjust.

2) No. It's best to start with at least a few turns showing so you can adjust either way as needed.

3) Upside down. Measure to the step in the float, not the top of the float. Float height is critical -- take the time to get it right. Watch out for shoddy aftermarket needles with weak springs -- the spring in the needle should not compress at all under the weight of the float.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ko....rect!

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      A) The carbs aren't clean. The idle circuits are still plugged solid.

1) There is no standard initial setting for the throttle adjuster screw as far as number of turns. Bench sync the carbs, then set this initially so that it just barely doesn't touch. Start the bike, the screw it in so that it will maintain an idle. Sync the carbs and readjust.

2) No. It's best to start with at least a few turns showing so you can adjust either way as needed.

3) Upside down. Measure to the step in the float, not the top of the float. Float height is critical -- take the time to get it right. Watch out for shoddy aftermarket needles with weak springs -- the spring in the needle should not compress at all under the weight of the float.
      RIGHT ON, Bwringer! (A clean carb is a happy carb.)\\/

P.S. Diamondj, don't feel bad about asking a question that's been asked before. On this forum, I don't think we ever 'mark anyone down' for doing that. Every situation seems to be a little different, anyway.:-D
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

MY question would be...how well did you clean the carbs? You said
        Originally posted by Diamondj View Post
        I've cleaned them out and they are back on the bike
        Did you just clean out the bowls, or did you take everything apart, dip them in carb cleaner overnight,
        blow out all the passages, poke a copper wire strand through all the jets?

If all you did was clean the green stuff out of the bowls, you haven't even begun to clean them.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X