82 GS 650 changing the gear drive lube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 650 changing the gear drive lube question

Ok I am taking the advice of you fine people here.. Is changing this hard medium or easy? Can anyone talk me through this? Thanks!

Originally posted by MATTW View Post
    Ok I am taking the advice of you fine people here.. Is changing this hard medium or easy? Can anyone talk me through this? Thanks!
    It is very easy to do .You need 90wt. hypoid gear lube.First warm the bike up by going for a ride,then get a pan and take the bottom bolt out to drain it.Make sure bike is on the center stand.Now put the bottom bolt back in.Now take the top bolt out and get a small funnel or bend a peice of cardboard to use as a trough and pour the oil in the top hole till it starts to flow out of the hole.Put the top bolt on and your done.You can get a manual for your bike at www.motorbookstore.com and it will help you understand what to do.It has pictures and descriptions on everything you need to now about your bike.You have a nice bike there and with a little work it will run well.I have an 83 that runs like a top! Do spend the money for a manual it will save you time and money.Dont let working on it overwhelm you.It's really rather easy once you understand it.good luck!

Comment

All sounds good to me. \\/

Only thing I would add is that the manual says it will take 200-220 ml to fill it. In English, that's 6.8-7.0 ounces.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys! This place rocks!

Comment

Ok cool. I will try it once I get the bike back from the shop and ride some..\\/

Comment

Gear drive Their is the rear differential & the beveled drive gear assembly Requires removal of the gear shifter & cover to access the drain bolt, 10 mm bolt up to the right is level hole, fill from large plug on top

Comment

Lynn, I thought about that, too, but the 650 secondary drive is lubed by the engine oil.
              It does not have a separate system like the 850 does.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve is right.There is just a drain plug under and in front of the shifter that is 13/16th's.use a box end wrench cause a socket is hard to get in that little space.Use a peice of cardboard to drain the oil into your drain pan and it wont make a big mess on the frame and exhaust. Tighten back up like you would a spark plug so you dont strip it out.Same goes for your oil pan bolt.

Comment

Working...
                X