The easy way to take steering bearings out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The easy way to take steering bearings out

So I learned today that there was an easier way to take out steering bearing than beating the poop out of a bearing with an angled pry-bar and a sledge hammer.

The upper race of my lower steering bearing was really stuck, so I went to a local hardware store and found this device they call a bearing puller.... now before you laught in all fairness I have never needed to pull bearings like this before, nor have I ever seen a bearing puller so it didn't strike me at first to go out an buy one.

Let me add that it made the job REALLY easy!!!! Just lock the jaws onto the bearing edge, tighten the "feet" of the bearing puller and turn it with a wrench and POP... came right out.

Found it in the Search

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Guess this was an oversight as my Haynes manual doesn't tell me to use this special tool, they say to "use a suitable drift" and for the lower race it says that the race can simply be levered out (WRONG!)

Comment

another trick that i have heard of is running a bead on the race with a welder. As the weld cools it will contract the race and it will fall out.
        Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
        2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Working...
        X