Valve Adjustment on GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment on GS850GL

I'd like to know what the 80 GS850GL has for valve adjustment, screw, or shim? I also need to know what the lash is supposed to be at, and if I'll have any surprises along the way. TIA

It has shim over bucket. Clearance should be .03 to .08 mm.
    Toughest part, once you have spare shims and the bucket depressor, is finding a .03mm feeler gauge. Snapon used to sell one.

bill

Comment

Thanks, do you know what interval you're supposed to check them?

Comment

4,000 miles

bill

Comment

.03mm & .08mm works out to .001 inch and .003 inch. I used .0015 and .003 feeler gauges because 1) it's what I had, and 2) you don't want too little clearance on a valve. I believe the extra .0005 inch gives a little more safety in the adjustment.

Comment

Not to discourage you, but after 20 thousand miles, (850L) I finally checked my valve clearance. Still within specs. I had a Kaw 750 with the shim and bucket arrangement, and there was no discernable change in 40k. Not saying it hurts to check though.

Comment

Thanks Gary, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
              I think I'm going to leave well enough alone, and take my chances. I've never done the shim style, and it doesn't sound like much fun. Thanks Everyone for the help

Comment

No, no fun at all. It's only saving grace is, that it needs less attention than the screw type adjusters. I have those on a Honda, and still get 10k or more between adjustments. I keep my oil changed frequently, less wear means less adjustment. Anyway, if it does concern you, remember that the checking part isn't hard, and if you discover an adjustment is needed, you could always farm out that part of the project to a reliable mechanic. Of course, finding one might be the hardest part of all

Comment

Working...
                X