Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points Help Requested

All,

I'm having some problems with my bike in the 5000 to 10000RPM range, in that it takes a long time to get to 10000, and I have to be really smooth on the throttle to get it there, or it backfires a lot.

I suspected the points, so I took off the cover and re-set the timing. All good with my timing light.

Unfortunately, the points have some craters in them. I filed them as much as I could but they still have some craters. I also noticed that the points are arcing (on the 1-4 set, which seems to be the cylinders that are missing).

Is this a common issue with points?

I am planning to go to the Dyna S after this riding season but right now I need to fix my points (if it's the problem) so I can ride. Any help is appreciated.

Craig

You need new points and condensors. They don't last forever
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by suzuki-newfie View Post
      All,

I'm having some problems with my bike in the 5000 to 10000RPM range
      First of all, your redline is nine grand...

You need to spring for new points & condensers. They aren't all that expensive, and if you have a set that's pitting (sparking) it means there's a breakdown & long walk in your future, followed by the expense of transporting a dead bike back home (or one of those oh-so-pleasant roadside repairs).

Points are a lot more reliable than some people think, but when they die, so do your plans for the evening. Be grateful for the early warning.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. Any recommended place to get points and condensers given that I'm located in Canada?

Craig

Comment

Z1enterprises.com, Denniskirk.com and a bunch of other places.

Comment

Working...
          X