fuel grade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
    hey all i was just wondering what kind of fuel grade you guys use for your gs's. whick is the best to run to get optimum performance and economy?
    Owner's Manual says my 81 GS750E has 9.4:1 compression. 15degrees BTDC below 1500 rpm and 35BTDC total advance over 2350rpm.

"Fuel 85-95 octane if R+M/2 method or 89 octane or higher if research method."....... "If engine pinging is experienced, substitute another brand as there are differences between brands."

Unless you are a performance nut 87-89 octane should work fine.

General rule of thumb BP gas sucks as only puts in minimum required additives. Shell, Mobil, Sunoco are usually better

than the "off brands" in amount of additives. You should always rotate brands of gasolines so you don't get any deposits over time.

I get 41-43mpg with Hess or Racetrac and 47-49 using Sunoco. Doesn't matter octane grade of fuel. Brand matters not the "size".

Don't buy any Citgo unless you absolutely have to as that puts money in the pocket of that ******* dictator in Venezula.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2007, 01:30 PM.

Comment

i've heard that higher compression engines and forced induction engines take higher octane gas to prevent pre-ignition of the mixture before the spark due to said increased pressure during the stroke. i have never noticed a difference in any carburettor engine, but my turbo cars definitely hate any low-grade fuel (my girlfriend likes to get the cheap stuff and drive the GTX around :?. needless to say i turn the boost down before SHE drives!)

i also notice a difference in the GS using different suppliers, ARCO vs Chevron for example, on occasion. for the most part my bike doesn't seem very picky...

Comment

Working...
      X