Dead battery?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead battery?!?!?!

JUST got my GS back on the road on monday after a 6 month down time waiting to find the right part. Finally finally finally I get her back togethre and full of oil, go out and pick up a NEW FULLY charged battery.

I'll be damned if she didnt fire RIGHT UP! 6 months down and she fires in less than 10 seconds!

So I went for an hours ride, ofcourse. I stopped once on the ride and she seemed sluggish and slow to start, as if the battery was really low. Now she wont even turn over. The reading on the batter when I got home was 11.8v.

Somebody PLEASE tell me this aint the dreaded stator! Give me someplace else to look for the gremlins! I have to wait till sunday to do any work on her and will review the stator papers and go through the testing process as fully as I can then.

First thing to do is clean all of the stator and reg/rect connections then recheck the voltage

Comment

Rake put a volt meter across the battery terminals and do the rpm and voltage output test. It will tell you quickly BUT BUT first do the cleaning as recomended. That usually solves it. Dont take ay short cuts there.

Comment

You can get a digital multimeter from an auto supply for about 20 bucks. It's real easy to do a stator test. You don't say what year or model, but if it's anything like mine, (850), I'd bet it's the rectifier.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys

I couldnt wait till the weekend, go figure eh? :roll: :roll:

I dug into the bike a bit and found a "hot" wire from the RR had "Blown". It went to a female conector and looks like it shorted out and melted part of the conector case.

When I ran the bike with out the wire hooked up there was a steady drain on the battery, reading 8.63v and droping. When I hook the wire up, the battery reads 11.33v and climbing...... So at least now I know WHY the battery died.

My concern now is that the RR may be dead and overcharging the battery. That MAY have to wait a few days to get into.

You are SO right Scotty. All these connections have to be clean and tight.

Sorry Gary, it a '78 GS1000. Electrex Stator and a Honda RR. Both done before I bought the bike. :?

Comment

Rake.
            If you have a battery charger charge the battery over night and dont depend on the bike to recharge it. It usually cant and may do dammage.
            after the batt. is fully charged put it in the bike AND read these instructions and they will answer any questions that you may have.

Keep us all informed so you can get as much input as possible and prevent any un necessary spending of money.

Comment

Thanks Scotty.

I have the battery on the charger and have printed off the fault finding chart.

BTW What is that blue bike in your driveway? That looks nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Rake Pierce
                Thanks Scotty.

Its a 1980 yamaha xs650. It has ben customized to something called a street tracker. I never heard of a street tracker till after i owned the bike. Dink said thats a 650 street tracker Dom . My reply was what the heck is a street tracker. I'm still not sure. I believe it is some sort of a fad.
                Boy this baby can shake and shake.

Comment

Originally posted by sloepoke
                  Originally posted by Rake Pierce
                  Thanks Scotty.

Its a 1980 yamaha xs650. It has ben customized to something called a street tracker. I never heard of a street tracker till after i owned the bike. Dink said thats a 650 street tracker Dom . My reply was what the heck is a street tracker. I'm still not sure. I believe it is some sort of a fad.
                  Boy this baby can shake and shake.

Real easy Dom, its a dirt flat track bike for the street 8)

Comment

that seems to contradict itself but ill go for that

Comment

Working...
                    X