Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E (?) new owner forks inner tube question

Hey guys-
    I just bought a crashed GS550 i got it home started to look things over asses the damage and figure out what needs replacement. Long story short, and body aside I need to replace the inner tubes on the fork(s) and/or replace the whole fork. My bike has the modular brake valve on the forks so that has made it very difficult to find direct replacements. Anyways the family company builds heat treat equipment and i was considering making new inner tubes but i cant seem to get the old ones out, they have 2 small dings where the triple tree was connected but no other damage. Any advice? A picture walk through would be helpful I have a repair manual for GS550 E/ES but that is minimally helpful because the illustrations dont make much sense to me. I'm a newb to this whole motorcycle thing (although i have worked on cars for most of my life). BTW it's a 1983 (it somehow only have 10k miles). I'll also be needing one Modular valve assem. any ideas on sourcing that? I found one website that had then new but they were ~$180/ea
    TIA
    -Alex
    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2007, 01:46 AM.

Where are you located? I swapped out for a different front end, so I have all of the old parts from my '83.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
      Where are you located? I swapped out for a different front end, so I have all of the old parts from my '83.
      Michigan but i would gladly pay for shipping.
      -Alex

Comment

If Lee's set doesn't make it...

In illinois there's a guy that will re-do down tubes... On my bike I have a set of "forks by frank"...

his prices aren't too bad though you'll have to call to get a price quote...
        Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc., Evanston, IL, 60202, motorcycle fork tubes,forking by frank,german,japanese,spanish,chicago,motorcycle,forks,tubes,fork tubes,bikes,cycles,choppers,honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,bmw,triumph,bsa,norton,maico,harley davidson,, motorcycles,motorcycle parts,parts,engines

Comment

if i could actually get the forks apart i would prolly be able to build new down tubes myself depending on how complicated they are

Comment

I've got the whole front end available. Do you just want a tube, and which side do you want? As it sits right now, the fork legs are sitting in the corner in my garage, separated from the tripple tree, with the brakes still attached. I might like to keep the brake setup, unless you need it. My zip is 97303 for a shipping estimate.

Comment

I just need the two fork tubes, and maybe the triple tree... the problem i keep running into is that no one has a modular brake compatible fork.

Comment

How 'bout you just reference the part numbers you need from the diagram I've attached, that way we're clear on what you want here. It sounds like you could just get away with swapping out #9 and the tripple. I can fully disassemble these forks so that I only send you what you need, or I guess I could just pile the whole shooting match in a box. Also, when you say 'modular brakes', I'm guessing you are referring to the anti-dive system?

You could also consider the route of swapping to a different front end. I used one from a '92 katana. It has better brakes and there are more choices for aftermarket springs.

Anyway, let me know what you need.

Comment

I'd be needing it all and the triple trees (i would prefer not to bend them back and then use them) ... i sent you a pm

Comment

Working...
                  X