Rim retro fit on 1100G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim retro fit on 1100G

The more posts I read about the benefits of upgrading to newer rims, the more I want to put newer rims on my '83 1100G. I'll replace the whole front end if need be but the rear end is another story entirely. Does anyone know what newer rims will fit the rear? I was wondering if rims from the last year the 1100G was made will fit. And if so, did they accept radials?

The last year the GS1100G was imported into the USA was 1983. In 1984 the only big shaftie GS imported was the GS1100GK.

The 17-inch stock rear wheel is, as far as I know, the only one that will fit the GS1100G. The stock wheel off the GK, a 16-incher, will also fit. I'm aware of no modern Suzuki wheels that will fit the back of these shafties. You don't have much room back there in that swingarm.

I use the 17-inch rear wheel off one of my old 850's, a 79, in the back of my GK, alternating service with the stock 16-incher. This older rear wheel fits just fine in the slightly newer swingarm.

The rims on these old GS bikes are too narrow to have radials fitted on them. Not much flexibility there.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for the info, Nick. I was thinking more of the 1100G that was made in the 90's based on the GSX engine. At least I think it was based on that engine. Any info on that one?

Comment

OK, you mean that GSX1100G that had the GSXR engine indeed. Very fast bike, with a much more modern engine.

The rear wheel on that thing is much more modern. It shares the same "differential" as the Suzuki Cavalcade touring bike. The tires on the GSX1100G are therefore more modern, wider, and yes, radials fit.

I doubt very seriously if any rear end parts off the GSX will fit a GS1100G. Totally different setup. Totally different bike.

Nick

Comment

Thanks alot Nick. Looks like I'll have to settle for what I have. Its times like these that I wish I wasn't so damn fond of the bike. Mixed blessing, I guess. Now if I could locate a 1000S fairing and hardware for it. Or better yet, a Greer. I have a Windjammer IV w/lowers on it for colder weather and would like something a little sportier looking than the small plexi fairing I use during the warmer months. What a versatile bike! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X