broken baring cap bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken baring cap bolt

I'm so mad right now I can barely type. I was trying to finish up my engine assembly when I broke one of the baring cap bolts. it broke nice and clean below the top of the head where you can't get anything to it.....

Find a Snap On truck & tell him you want a left hand drill bit. 1/8 inch should do you well. center punch the center of the bolt & then slowly start drilling with the drill reversed. Nine times out of ten it will back the bolt right out! Worst case you drill into the broken bolt & remove it with an EZ Out. Let us know how it works, Ray.

Comment

Well I've calmed down some... really not happy as I thought I'd be riding by Wednesday. LOL I was so mad I couldn't even spell bearings. Oh well... I'm going to see if I can sweet talk my gun dealer into helping me. He has a very nice drill press and used to work on drilling equipment so he can probably do the job as good as a pro. If I can talk him into it. I was so damn close to having the beast done I could taste victory.... Now I have sour apples

Where can I get the bolt I need?

Comment

I have a whole bunch of them. I'm not sure if you need a certain grade. More than likely you need a high grade which will take the heat. You found out the hard way you really don't need much torque on them. I'll send you one but I doubt you want to wait that long
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Tough break.

Are you referring to the camshaft bearing caps?

You may be able to get it with vice grips if there's
          enough of the bolt showing.

Comment

It is a #9 grade bolt, one of the bearing cap bolts. Who knows how long it'll take for me to get the sucker removed, so I'd gladly take you up on the offer to send one. I'll PM you the address if your willing

DimitriT, it broke off below the top of the head, down in that channel and there is not even enough to try to get the tip of a needle nose plier on. It's pretty much flush with where the threads start on the hole in the head.

LOL I need a hole in the head!

Comment

Sure. I'll drop it in an envelope.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X