Electrical woes in 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical woes in 1983 GS1100E

It seems that just as I figure out the fix to one problem on my bike, another one surfaces...
    I was warming up my bike to ride it to work the other day and just as I was about to turn down the choke a little, I experienced a sudden and complete electrical system failure(no idiot lights on the dash--no nothing).
    I tore into it when I got home from work, and was relieved(or so I thought at the time)to see that it was a blown fuse--the 15 amp main. I popped in the spare fuse that was inside the cover, only to have that one blow as well--without the key in the ignition or any switches on.
    A continuity test of all the wires I can see(which shows nothing wrong with any of them) leads me to the conclusion that the failure is in the ignition switch. Any ideas as to how to a)confirm and b)rectify this problem would be greatly appreciated, as I am a total dummy when it comes to electricals.
    Thanks, Carlos

Unplug the ignition switch from the harness & put a new fuse in. If it doesn't pop the fuse, chances are it is the switch. Ray.

Comment

Follow the ignition switch wire into the headligh bucket.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

time to get down and dirty. do as thay say above and unplug the switch. I am betting your going to do the ground up date on the bike. clean all the grounds and add one from the motor to the regulator, then add a second to the frame. mite as well since your in the electrical trouble shooting mode.

next trace every wire, any ware thay touch the frame. you will find a bear spot. it could be any ware. i would start with the main power to the switch and work from there. be ready to start replacing wires. its the norm on old bikes. if you even think it mite go bad replace it. your bike will thank you later. when every one else brakes down and your going strong.

Comment

So, did you find out what the culprit was? My '83 GS1100E is doing the exact same thing. Rode it to work last week and it was fine. Get on it to go home and deader than the proverbial doornail. Blows the main fuse as fast as you can put one in. I haven't tore into mine yet. I will start on it tonight.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X