Adding Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Power

I HAVE A 1980 1100EX WITH 56,000 MILES. I HAVE BEEN RIDEING IT FOR ONE SUMMER AND IT RUNS GREAT. NOW I WANT TO ADD A LITTLE MORE POWER. I AM PLANNING ON REMOVEING THE AIR BOX AND USING INDIVIDUAL AIR FILTERS. I ALSO WANT TO CHANGE THE 4 INTO 2 AFTER MARKET EXAUST AND INSTALL A HEADER. I DO NOT WANT TO RACE IT BUT JUST WANT TO GET A LITTLE BIT BETTER PREFORMANCE. I AM A NOVICE IN THIS FEILD AND WOULD LIKE A LITTLE ADVICE ABOUT WHAT IS BEST. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TYPE OF FILTER ARE BEST AND IF THEY HAVE A WEB SITE. I ALSO NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST HEADER AND WILL I NEED TO REJET MY CARBS. IF SO HOW OR WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS AND WHAT COMBO WILL PROVIDE ME THE BEST RESULTS.

THANKS,
    GREG

K&N air filters are at least hyped up the best, but I personally use UNI cause I'm cheap, and I think they probably work just as well, but maybe not last quite as long. You will have to rejet your carbs, and I suggest getting a jet kit from somebody like dyna jet, it will get you all you need to do the jetting, and instruction on how to do it. I'm not sure about 'best' headers, but that is probably somewhat subjective anyway. Also, if you want to go the K&N route, they make a kit that includes both the filters, and the jet kit. Check out http://www.denniskirk.com

Comment

If you want to add a little power to your 1100EX then I suggest a thorough tune up first and then the installation of adjustable cam sprockets first, then get the cams dialled in at the same time. There is quite a bit of HP in this mod without any other changes required, Suzuki was renowned for cam timing inaccuracies in these motors. If you still want a little more try a "hi-flow" replacement filter and a stage one jet kit, as again it will add a little allover and not affect "drivability' to much. the best bit being neither of these mods is expensive and will allow you to gauge just how far you really wish to go in the quest for more power. As you may be able to work out I prefer sleeper style bikes rather than in your face sceamers.
      Dink

Comment

I have done the tune up but I have never herd of an adjustable cam sprockets. Where would I find one and are they costly? How much work would it intail and would it be something I could do with my limited experance in my back yard shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
          I have done the tune up but I have never herd of an adjustable cam sprockets. Where would I find one and are they costly? How much work would it intail and would it be something I could do with my limited experance in my back yard shop.
          One of our Sweedis buddys has a website that contains tons of info on many subjects that you will like to know about. It includes a detailed
          description of how to dial in cams with slotted cam sprockets

many speed shops can get them to you
          http://www.murdochracing.com/ this guy is my favorite and has an 800 number.

Another company I have dealt with and most of the gang will recomend
          Star Racing sells horsepower for 2007-2020 Harley Davidson motorcycles, Twin Cam and Milwaukee 8. High Performance Parts, specializing in camshafts designed by George Bryce. Mail order only. Located in the United States. Email george@starracing.com for more information

there are tons more but it wont be necessary to shop too much for that item.
          Here is a link to star racing with a price. They all run very close to that price.

Just a note. You will be amazed at how well both places wil treat you even though you are not spending Thousands with them.
          Pete Hedman had a problem with one of them on an international deal though.

Comment

Header choice is getting pretty narrow. Vance&Hines and Mac are 2 choices and myself would pick the V&H over the Mac, but I'm a Kerker guy and they don't make them anymore. Mac can run without jetting chances but V&H reccommends changing your mains, but I don't remember by how much. A sheet comes with the header anyways.

Comment

If you want a good 4-1 exhaust you better buy one real soon as they're getting pretty hard to find anymore for your 1100. The latest Dennis Kirk cat. shows that the V&H Megaphone systems are still available as are Kerker White Tips. Other than that, E-Bay might be a good source for the future. I also agree with Dink. The stage 1 jet kit and K&N replacement filter would be your best bet unless you're willing to give up more driveability and more time dialing it in correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X