Access To Batteries In Katanas and Gs's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access To Batteries In Katanas and Gs's

Hi all , I was wondering how the ease of access isto the battery in a GS?
    I'm saying this because , although I've ridden GS's Ive never looked under the seat.
    Tha Katana is a nightmare !!
    1. remove seat.
    2. remove side panel.( to access screw for air bob)
    3. loosen master cylinder for rear brake.( so you can remove air box)
    4. remove seat bracket.( to give room to remove air box)
    5. remove air box.
    6 Oh my God it's the Battery!! :roll:

Am I doing something wrong here ?????

Battery Katana

That's all there is too it. I think this process you describe is better than peeling off plastic fairing panels for 20 minutes to work on your modern style bike.

If you get a jet kit and filters you can see your battery from the side. All you will have to do is remove the seat to get to it.

I bought an 83 Kat 11 for $400 in 93. Mine didn't have the seat bracket you mentioned, it was missing, so I made a cheesy one, but it works fine.

Carter Turk
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Re: Access To Batteries In Katanas and Gs's

Well, for my GS750, its pretty difficult also. 1. swing hinged seat up. 2. Reach down and pick up battery. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Katana"]Hi all , I was wondering how the ease of access isto the battery in a GS?
      I'm saying this because , although I've ridden GS's Ive never looked under the seat.
      Tha Katana is a nightmare !!
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On my 400 all I have to do is remove both sidecovers, disconnect battery from relay and slide battery out right hand side. The 1100 is a bit of a pain due to the airbox.

Steve

Comment

1150 is a piece of cake: lift front seat and there is the battery
          Katana is the nightmare that you describe
          Queenie's 250 you need to remove the seat and the right side cover :roll:
          The Katana makes a very good case for a dry cell battery though, and they are lighter too
          Dink

Comment

on my 1100e, I removed the air filter box and hung the filter back in with 2 plastic ties so I can get at the battery to add water just by slipping the ties off the end of the filter and sliding the air filter out of its connecting rubber tube.. In florida I notice that the battery needs water at least 2 times a year.

Comment

Re: Battery Katana

Originally posted by Carter Turk
              That's all there is too it. I think this process you describe is better than peeling off plastic fairing panels for 20 minutes to work on your modern style bike.
              Good point.

Comment

Re: Access To Batteries In Katanas and Gs's

Originally posted by earlfor
                Well, for my GS750, its pretty difficult also. 1. swing hinged seat up. 2. Reach down and pick up battery.
                Same goes for the GS850. It's a bit more difficult for the GS550 though:

1. Remove side cover.
                2. Pull battery out.

Comment

Ah good. I too wondered if I was doing something wrong. I have to remove the seat, both side panels, seat bracket and air filter box to get to the battery. It's always struck me that either I or the bike was being bl*@!y silly. Glad to hear that, for once, it's the bike.

Comment

Thanks guys for your wisdom .
                    And yes TEMS I was thinking I was a goose as well !

cheers Katana

Comment

Working...
                    X