'82 850L Headlight Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 850L Headlight Issue

Ok, I've been trying to figure this one out and have not been able to yet (as I am bad with the electrical stuff). The low beam on the headlight is not working. I replaced the lamp, no help, I check the connection in the switch box, all really good, so now I'm down to the bucket and can't find anything in that mess!
    By chance, I replaced the taillight (as the break light was not working) and found that the lowbeam all of a sudden worked while the tailight was not connected, but when reinserted the lowbeam would no longer work. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and where to go next before I start tearing through all the wires on the bike and really mess something up :shock:!

Thanks

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    Ok, I've been trying to figure this one out and have not been able to yet (as I am bad with the electrical stuff). The low beam on the headlight is not working. I replaced the lamp, no help, I check the connection in the switch box, all really good, so now I'm down to the bucket and can't find anything in that mess!
    By chance, I replaced the taillight (as the break light was not working) and found that the lowbeam all of a sudden worked while the tailight was not connected, but when reinserted the lowbeam would no longer work. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and where to go next before I start tearing through all the wires on the bike and really mess something up :shock:!

Thanks
    Does the Highbeam work, if so check the wire/connection for the lowbeam between the dimmer switch and the headlight

Comment

Yes, the highbeam works fine, just the lowbeam is not working. I'll have to get a wire diagram and start digging through it. I just don't want to mess something else up that is working, as I don't do much night driving anyhow.
      It would be nice to not bright everyone at dusk though!

Comment

There is a good rule of thumb that is well-known to anyone that deals with electricity a lot. It does not matter if its a 440 volt, 3-phase industrial or the smallest electronic circuit.

If it's doing strange things, it's a bad ground.

There, now you know what your problem is, now you just have to find where. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the tail light could be pluged in backwards- wires reversed?

Comment

Working...
          X