Bought new wiring harness(1100e)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought new wiring harness(1100e)

Well I finally got tired of fooling with my wiring harness. My 83 1100E has a new sator,r/r and many new connectors. But it still will only charge 12.5 volts across the board(plus the wiring harness under the seat gets pretty warm). There were quite a few burnt up connections behind the headlight. I even had a motorcycle tech look at and he told that there was a short somewhere in the harness. So I ordered a new harness tonight from Flatout for $148 shipped. I hated to do it but I want to ride this thing knowing I am going to make it home. I quess the gsxr parts and wes cooley fairing are going to have to wait a little bit longer. Andy

Um I don't see a question so um congrats on your wiring harness purchase, also a bad battery can cause your troubles but you didn't mention problems of holding a charge or starting so I guess it's not too likely the batt.

Comment

Your old wiring harness may not be the source of your problem, but a new one won't hurt.

I put a new one on my bike, and it wan't too hard. I just started at the headlight shell, disconnecting one connector at a time, and plugging in a connector from the new harness as I went. As I unthreaded the old harnes from front to back, I followed it with the new one. Even so, when I was finished, and turned on the ignition, the instrument panel lights were all screwed up. I had reversed two of the connectors in the headlight shell. Fixed that, then had to replace a fuse.

Good luck

Comment

Just remember to be patient, take your time and think things through when connecting the new harness, going one connector at a time is probably a great way to prevent more problems.

Comment

The wiring harness is really the only thing left on the bike I can think of that would cause a problem. I have messed around with it pretty much all day. I thought the problem was fixed for now. But I noticed the gauge lights deem when I had the turn signal on. So I checked it and it's 12.5 volts across the board(plus r/r connectors are getting a little warm?). I have been riding it like that for 3 weeks now and it always got me home. So I took the motorcycle techs advice and bought the harness. My harness looks pretty nasty so I hope it works. I just want to get it fixed so I can start buying parts for my big gsxr swap this winter. And not have to worry about it anymore. All I know it that I wish Suzuki would have designed a better harness. I quess I just needed to vent alittle. If you guys have any thoughts let me know. I am all ears.Thanks Andy

Comment

Originally posted by white79bu View Post
            The wiring harness is really the only thing left on the bike I can think of that would cause a problem. I have messed around with it pretty much all day. I thought the problem was fixed for now. But I noticed the gauge lights deem when I had the turn signal on. So I checked it and it's 12.5 volts across the board(plus r/r connectors are getting a little warm?).
            If you haven't replaced the bullet connectors on the stator wires with something else, do that.

The general advice on the board is to solder them directly to the regulator. I personally don't think you have to go that far. I cut them out and replaced them with crimp on spade type disconnects. The way the spades mate is MUCH more mechanically robust than the bullet type.

Also, if you haven't connected the ground wire from the regulator directly to the battery, do that.

I have been riding it like that for 3 weeks now and it always got me home. So I took the motorcycle techs advice and bought the harness. My harness looks pretty nasty so I hope it works. I just want to get it fixed so I can start buying parts for my big gsxr swap this winter. And not have to worry about it anymore. All I know it that I wish Suzuki would have designed a better harness. I quess I just needed to vent alittle. If you guys have any thoughts let me know. I am all ears.Thanks Andy

Comment

Well I think the harness worked! With a freshly charged battery it was charging 13.8-14 volts at idle. So I am thinking it was a success\\/. Just thought I would give you guys an update. Andy

Comment

Way to go! Enjoy the ride.

Mike

Comment

For grins, you could strip the windings off the one you removed to find the pinched wires... Or maybe it was just getting rid of a motorcycle's worth of corroded brass bullet connectors.

MarkF
                  Mark Fisher
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X