Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power

Hi!
    I am new to the forum and haven't been involved in my own bike maintenance - I take it to the motorcycle shop to have it maintained regularly.
    I've only been out a couple of times this year - short riding season for me.
    I have an 86 GS750ES riding for about 10 years.
    As I was riding over to a friend's house on the other end of the city, I pulled over to check a map. I turned the bike off. When I tried to start it, it was completely dead. No lights, no ignition, nothing.
    I've checked the battery with a voltage meter - it registered at 12.66
    the water is fine. I replace all of the fuses. The "run" switch is in the on position.

Any ideas why it would be running perfectly fine and then just stop dead??

Looks like I will have to tow it to the shop unless anyone has some pointers for me.

Thanks!!!
    Dragonf1y

it sounds like something electrical, either a bad ground cable at the battery or to the frame. all wires get old and brittle. after 21 years your machine might have rattled a connection loose somewhere

Comment

I just put my 1100 back together and went to start it, nothing. Turned out to be a ground connection for the solinoid. More than likely a corroded connection, they can be fun traceing out. Didn' by chance bump the kill switch did ya?
      V
      Last edited by gustovh; 06-20-2007, 03:39 AM.
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No Power

I don't have a manual for my bike - where would I look to check the loose connections? I took the seat off and tried to check the wiring - it goes under the gas tank and with it being parked on the street (and my VERY limited knowledge) I didn't want to try to tackle that until I had to...

I tried calling a local dealer (shop) to ask if they could book it in - one "nice" guy told me that with bikes this old he charges $90/hour to look at it and wouldn't be able to even start for another 2 weeks...

The other place (where I usually take my bike) hasn't even returned my call - so I'd really like to try and figure it out for myself (and get the satisfaction too!) :-D

I actually checked the kill switch before starting to look for the problem and unfortunately, it isn't that (sadly!) Apparently it is a common solution as a couple of my friends suggested that too!

to summarize:
        already checked the kill switch
        tried jumper cables
        replaced the fuses
        checked the battery
        left it sitting and tried starting again
        wiggled and jiggled wires (no apparent loose ends)

Ready to try something new [-o<

I really appreciate your help - I'd like to get the problem solved so that I can be on the road instead of wishing I were!

Comment

I had a very similar problem about five months ago. I tried similar things to cure it with no avail. After a few painful days i finally traced it to a poor connection from the ignition switch. I used a multimeter, test light, wiring diagram, and lots of patience. Wiring is daunting in the beginning but once you break down individual circuits you're laughing. Just remember, all you're looking for is a break in the system. Positive wants to get to ground, use your test light or multimeter and probe the harness to see where the power ends. i hope that helps somewhat because explaining it over the computer can only be so effective.

btw you'll be glad you decided to fix it yourself, theres no feeling like finally finding the problem.

goodluck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonf1y View Post
            Hi!
            When I tried to start it, it was completely dead. No lights, no ignition, nothing.
            I've checked the battery with a voltage meter - it registered at 12.66
            the water is fine. I replace all of the fuses. The "run" switch is in the on position.
            It sounds like you've done a good job of checking the obvious things.

Since you have no lights, ignition, etc... and no smoke or obvious sign of shorting, I'm guessing the problem is either with the connections at the battery, fuse box, or something else in the main circuit from the battery. The other thought is something wrong with the ignition switch or connections to it, like bikechump said.

On my particular bike, to simplify, it looks like the power runs from the battery to the main fuse of the fuse block, then through a red wire to the ignition switch, then to the insrument panel and on to the rest of the circuits.

If you can do a voltage check to ground with the ignition on at these first three points, you may find something. I think you can access the ignition switch connector in the headlight shell. If you know the wiring, you could just check the in and out of the ignition switch for a quick check.

Good luck, I hope it's something simple.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Great Suggestions - THANKS!

I'll get an altimeter and testlight - I have borrowed a manual but it is not specifically for my 84 GS750RS (hopefully they haven't changed THAT much!)

I really appreciate your help and will use the suggestions for troubleshooting. All of the shops are backlogged and I'd like to get my bike on the road before they say they'd have a chance to look at it!

And you're also right - I'd like the satisfaction of fixing it myself, it would improve my confidence for sure!

Thanks EVERYONE!
              Your time and experience is greatly appreciated!!!

I'll let you know how it works out - either way!

Comment

Working...
              X