russin fussin piston rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

russin fussin piston rings

In my efforts to get the cylinders back on I've managed to screw up two rings on cylinders 1 and 4.

The inner pistons go on easy but the outer ones are a major friggin pain.

Once a ring gets bent, is there any hope to using it? I've already ordered a new set. Fortunately piston 1 got the top ring bent and piston 2 got the bottom ring, so I only need one new set.

Any tips on getting those two outer pistons in cleanly?

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
    Once a ring gets bent, is there any hope to using it?
    NO.

You are in farther than I have ever been, so I can't help you there. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

In my efforts to get the cylinders back on I've managed to screw up two rings on cylinders 1 and 4.

The inner pistons go on easy but the outer ones are a major friggin pain.

Once a ring gets bent, is there any hope to using it? I've already ordered a new set. Fortunately piston 1 got the top ring bent and piston 2 got the bottom ring, so I only need one new set.

When method did you use? I"m interested as well, because this is the next step in my rebuild. The manuals show using a couple of ring compressing tools (expensive to buy), or large hose clamps. Reading through the forum though it seems best to get help from an extra set of hands and just compress the rings and work them into the block by hand. That's how I was going to approach it........

Interested to hear what others have to say.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I turned the crank until the middle pair were about 2/3 up. I then slid a wood dowel under them so they wouldn't drop down again. Then I lowered the block down and lined them up so the crowns where in. I then poured about a tbsp of oil in each of the middle cylinders and wiggled the pistons in a little at a time while squeezing the rings with my fingers. A few taps on the block with the palm helped.

Once I got the two middle ones in I then removed the dowel and turned the crank until the outer ones were up against the block. Then I went through all sorts of hell trying to wiggle the outer ones in. The problem is the block would rock side to side. You'd get one side in and the other would pop out.

Four hands may be the way to go here.
        Last edited by DimitriT; 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I’ve used this method twice without any damage. It works best with cylinders that are tapered at the very bottom. Both sets I worked with were tapered and I believe almost all are. First oil the pistons and rings liberally. Next turn the crank so that two of the pistons are as close as possible to the top of their travel. Many manuals say to push the cylinders onto the pistons and the rings will compress as they travel up the taper and enter the cylinder. THEY NEVER DO. Take a small piece of wood like a Popsicle stick or smaller and work the rings into the taper while pushing down gently of the cylinder. You can work the cylinders forward and backward a little as you push. You can work with a metal tool but be very careful not to scratch anything. NEVER HIT THE CYLINDER TO TRY TO DRIVE IT ONTO THE PISTONS. After the first two pistons are in turn the crank to lift the other two and work them in the same way. Don’t forget to put your base gasket on first. Others may be along to say Yea or Na but this is my method and I’m stickin’ to it. LOL

Comment

I tried the hose clamp idea.....didn't work for me
            But I did find if you buy a big enough tiewrap, you are golden.
            I tried it with multiple ties,attached together but it took a single one.
            Like this one at www.mcmastercarr.com
            PN #69455K21
            1/2 an inch wide and held all rings. Upper,lower and oil\\/\\/
            Just have to have big snips to cut them but any reason to buy more tools
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
              I tried the hose clamp idea.....didn't work for me
              But I did find if you buy a big enough tiewrap, you are golden.
              I tried it with multiple ties,attached together but it took a single one.
              Like this one at www.mcmastercarr.com
              PN #69455K21
              1/2 an inch wide and held all rings. Upper,lower and oil\\/\\/
              Just have to have big snips to cut them but any reason to buy more tools
              What a great idea. Thanks for the link.

Comment

I worked with another person on this, set the first two piston in and had the other person bring the head down a little bit as I rotated the engine forward to bring the remaining two pistons up. Once the rings were at the base one at a time squeezed the rings in with my hands... pain in the butt, but it worked.

Wish I had large hose clamps

Comment

Large hose clamps and a friend.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Noob Alert!

Warning! Profound Glimpse Into The Obvious!

Mr. DimitriT,

I have not had the pleasure of rebuilding the motor on my bike as of yet. But on a previous bike (like there's a lot,... NOT), there was just enough gunk in the ring grooves on the pistons to prevent the rings from compressing all the way. I'm sure your pistons are spic-n-span, but I wanted to mention it for the other noobs like myself out there who may be listening. Isn't there a special scraper tool? Or do you just soak the pistons in solvent? I think I used a flat blade screwdriver. Probably not the best thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My book says to use a piece of old piston ring to clean the groves. I just followed the instructions in the book to put mine back together.

I used my hands and found out that the straighter the cylinders come down over the pistions the easier they went in. Took about 2 min. by myself and 2 trys.
                      V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Warning! Profound Glimpse Into The Obvious!

Mr. DimitriT,

I have not had the pleasure of rebuilding the motor on my bike as of yet. But on a previous bike (like there's a lot,... NOT), there was just enough gunk in the ring grooves on the pistons to prevent the rings from compressing all the way. I'm sure your pistons are spic-n-span, but I wanted to mention it for the other noobs like myself out there who may be listening. Isn't there a special scraper tool? Or do you just soak the pistons in solvent? I think I used a flat blade screwdriver. Probably not the best thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                        Yea, I cleaned out the grooves with old rings and solvent. The new ones went in nice and slid around fine. The problem is when I was trying to fit the outer cylinders I would push too hard (get frustrated) and bend a ring. One edge of the ring would get caught outside the edge of the piston an get pushed down. Easy to do. I ordered a new set of rings. I'm gonna look into the wide zip ties or something similar. Seems like an excellent idea.

Comment

I've come up with a pretty simple way to do it myself. I cut some pvc pipe to size and then wrapped 2 pieces around the piston rings using them to compress the rings from either side. I keep them compressed with hose clamps. I crank the clamp down and then loosen it up just a bit. I put a bit of grease on the inside of the pvc.

Then line up all 4 pistons and hold the crank on the starter side with a wrench to keep it from turning. I then put a 2x4 across the top of the block and tap the block down over the pistons. Then pull out the hose clamps off and pull out the pvc pipe being careful not to drop the pvc down into the cases.
                          Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
                            I've come up with a pretty simple way to do it myself. I cut some pvc pipe to size and then wrapped 2 pieces around the piston rings using them to compress the rings from either side. I keep them compressed with hose clamps. I crank the clamp down and then loosen it up just a bit. I put a bit of grease on the inside of the pvc.

Then line up all 4 pistons and hold the crank on the starter side with a wrench to keep it from turning. I then put a 2x4 across the top of the block and tap the block down over the pistons. Then pull out the hose clamps off and pull out the pvc pipe being careful not to drop the pvc down into the cases.
                            Works great.
                            Wow. Way cool. Another great idea in the arsenal.

Comment

Rosco, nice tip and I like the firetruck red motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X