question regaurding piston and head swap 80 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question regaurding piston and head swap 80 gs850

i have searched the forum but here is the deal i have a 1980 gs 850 and i seem to have developed a small knock, my question is i also have a 76gt 750 in need of a head, but other than that the bike is in alot better shape than the 80, can i swap the head and pistons from the 1980 to the 750. is this possible. thanks for any help.

The 1976 GT750 uses a liquid-cooled, three-cylinder, TWO-STROKE engine, and is affectionately known as The Water Buffalo. They use ENTIRELY different heads, so no, you can NOT swap them (two-strokes don't use camshafts and valves).

Do you have a 1976 GS750? The GS uses a four-stroke engine, similar to your 1980 GS850G, though I tend to doubt that the heads would be interchangeable. Sorry to say, I don't have time to research this for you right now...

Please clarify this for us; do you have a gT750, or a gS750? If your 750 has a radiator in front of the engine, it is a two-stroke Water Buffalo; if not, you probably have the GS four-stroke...

Comment

With some minor work, clearancing the cylinders. You can put the 850 top end on your 750 bottom use the 750 cam sprockets without the center idler used by the 850.
      The 750 cam chain is shorter

Comment

yeah sorry its an aircooled so i guess its a gs 750, kinda hard to adapt 4 cylinders to 3.
        so you have to clearance the cylinders, what does that involve. and other than not using the idler everything should work fine?

Comment

Minor work (grinding) on engine cases where the sleeves fit into the block. I have not personally done the swap. That is info I have gathered from others that have done the swap with good results.
          On your 850 have you checked the clutch ? Loose clutch could cause a type of knock?

Comment

no i havent checked the clutch but it does slip a little bit under hard acceleration. im relatively new to motorcycles so im not sure about what that sounds like. i will check the clutch and inspect the best i can. thanks for all your help.

Comment

Look at the clutch diagram 80 GS850 item # 9
              Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Also if you run the motor up to 2K rpm does it still knock???

Comment

Working...
              X