Found the problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found the problem!

Well, I found out why the starter on my GS750EX wasn't turning the engine over:

The bolts showed absolutely no signs of shearing, but they also looked like the factory bolts. Also, one of the springs was broken at the end but still had enough tension to work, that's no big deal. I have a feeling that this was broken when I got the bike because it would have made a hellacious noise (I assume) when it broke. I was really hoping that the bolts were sheared......

So, anyone got a starter clutch that will fit an '81 GS750EX? Before I get the whole soapbox speech, I know I'd be better off buying a new one, but honestly I don't have the money to buy one. And besides, look at the pic. Anything would be better than that.

That's usually a pretty easy to find part on ebay...

'80 750E and first-gen 16v 1100 would undoubtedly fit.

Comment

To someone that doesn't know what it should look like it doesn't look broke, it broke so clean and consistently.

Looking for a low-dough fix: JB Weld, or have someone weld it back together \\/....J/K those probably wouldn't be a good idea :-D.

Comment

I know what you mean, I noticed a hairline seam on the side before I pulled it off and I thought it was a casting mark or an intentional "expansion" seam. That was before I knew there was a problem with the starting system and started taking things apart.

I was really, REALLY hoping that all I was going to have to do was replace three broken bolts.

Comment

Glue that thing together a little different and it looks like this:

Comment

Well, that would give me a nice fairing, but it still wouldn't start!

Comment

Mr. txironhead,

Ouch! That's very inconvenient.

I did a quick search of the Parts For Sale forum here and found lots of GS750 stuff. Let's see if my results show here:

Hope you find just the right part.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Too bad I could have fixed you up last week, What is left of the bike is now in the scrap yard.
                V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment