No announcement yet.

Who's Out There...need Help Fast!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope they at least told you to keep the goggles, for your frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrdave View Post
      I hope they at least told you to keep the goggles, for your frustration.
      I mentioned it in jest, twice, but no such luck! Not my style anyway...but nice goggles all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        They will have another cable shipped today,

Rush city is 60 miles up there one way. I dont know if its worth 2 hours on the road just to hit someone over the head. I was just by there saturday. Maybe we should start a thread "Dennis Kirk Run - Ya need anything ?" My friend goes by twice every weekend camping in Moose Lake.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I mentioned it in jest, twice, but no such luck! Not my style anyway...but nice goggles all the same.
          Dave i just got one at the dealer and they had it in stock! I wihs I could help you out but trust Dennis Kirk.You should get it saturday .If I had time I would mail you my brand new one I just bought but Dennis will probably come thru.I would order another one to have on hand!

Comment

Just curious? Did your cable break right up next to the handle? Looks like the barrel just broke off??? If so, before you put the new cable on make sure there are no burrs in the hole where the barrell goes. Also put a bit of lube in there before assembly. Whats happening is the barrell is not turning when you pull the clutch and it's just like bending a wire back and forth till it breaks. My bike used to break a cable about 3 times a season, since I figured out the problem, I have had the same cable on almost 2 years now. Hope that helps.
            Dave

Comment

My new cable has a housing around the barrel that lets it move freely. I have never seen this before on a cable.

Comment

This has happened to me before.
                Living in South Africa we dont have the luxuary of overnight delivery so i took the clutch cable (including housing -outersleeve) to a bicycle shop and the made up a cable to fit.

took all of 15 min.
                cost next to nothing in comparison to a genuine cable.
                still working today 2 years later

Comment

I did basically the same thing with this Sanyang (from Taiwan where I lived) when the front brake cable broke. The cable wasn't readily available, so this little old Taiwanese mech, made me up a cable from a universal kit that used a set screw and adjustable end to get the length. It worked until the bike was stolen, it was a good fix. There are always options.

Comment

Well...according to the ground tracking number, the cable should be on my doorstep when I get home from work, unless I get a rear bumper for a '68 VW Bug or something like that. In the mean time, I installed the new (used) correct tach and indicator stack (thanks Chef).

ps. if anyone needs a good tach without the high beam indicator and oil pressure lights and 9500 RPM redline...I've got one on the shelf now.

Comment

Aww shucks
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Moving on...

Twice is nice...Dennis Kirk made good on their promise and had the cable there last night. My humor must have had an impact, as they waived the shipping charges (class act)! Checked everything over and all looked good, no barbs, sharp corners, nothing to destroy the new one! \\/

Perfect fit I might add!!! Now...for the headlight bulb (low beam to be specific) that took a dump...ANYONE have a recommendation for a high quality replacement? Bright light is good!

Comment

Twice is nice...Dennis Kirk made good on their promise and had the cable there last night. My humor must have had an impact, as they waived the shipping charges (class act)! Checked everything over and all looked good, no barbs, sharp corners, nothing to destroy the new one! \\/

Perfect fit I might add!!! Now...for the headlight bulb (low beam to be specific) that took a dump...ANYONE have a recommendation for a high quality replacement? Bright light is good!
                          H4 Sylvania Silverstar. $20 at your nearest Advance/Kragen/Checker/etc. auto parts store. (AutoZone does not have these, for some reason.)

Some say that the 9003 you'll find for cars is the exact same bulb, and indeed the base is the same and they seem to work identically. Silverstars are available nearly everywhere -- I think Wally World has them for around $18.50 each.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks Brian...I'm on it! By the way...How's the WHEEL healing? Are you back on it?

Comment

a fix in a pinch. get some cable the same diameter of your old cable. cut to length. remove old cable from round ends. solder new cable into the end. a few hardware store carry aircraft cable. the more strands the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X