More Carb Issues-possible Dumb ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Carb Issues-possible Dumb ?

I HAVE A 78 GS750 WITH LOW MILES UNDER 13,000 I'AM THE SECOND OWNER. I BOUGHT IT LAST YEAR AND IT RAN FINE ALL LAST YEAR AND THE BEGINING OF THIS YEAR. THEN IT STARTED DUMPING GAS OUT OF THE BOWL OVERFLOWS. PULLED THE DRAIN SCREWS AND NOTHING CAME OUT. SO I PULL THE CARBS AND THEY WERE FULL OF A BLACK POWDERY SUBSTANCE. CLEANED THEM UP READUJUSTED THE FLOATS PUT BACK TOGETHER AND THE BIKE RAN FINE FOR ABOUT 250 MILES AND THEN IT STARTED ACTING UP AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME IT FALLS ON ITS FACE UNDER LOAD. SITTING STILL I CAN REDLINE WITH OUT A STUTTER. TAKE OFF AND ABOUT FIVE GRAND IT JUST FALLS. PULLED OUT THE DRAIN SCREWS AND THE GAS THAT CAME OUT WAS FULL OF THE BLACK POWDERY STUFF. TANK IS CLEAN NO RUST. PULLED PETCOCK AND SCREEN IS CLEAN. IS IT POSSIBLE THE FLOATS ARE DETORIATING. SORRY FOR THE SPELLING. I'AM STUCK AND WITHOUT REPLACING EVERYTHING BLACK I'AM NOT SURE WHERE TO START. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Do a complete carb rear down and dip them in Berrymans. Get an o-ring kit here http://www.cycleorings.com/VMkit.html
    there is a VM carb cleaning series on this site somewhere.

If you use all capital letters people think you are yelling and will ignore you. Just giving you a heads up.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sounds like you have a problem with either rust in the tank and on the filter or the fuel tap is in trouble.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

My bet is on your fuel line going South. How old is it?
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Not sure how old.knowing the guy i got it from could be original..

Comment

I'm from Stark County Ohio. Where the heck is Preble County?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Preble county is located west of dayton ohio. find I-70 on a map and we are the last county before indiana.

Comment

P.M. sent.

Comment

Okay I heeded some advice ,tore the carbs down again. and do I fell stupid. I replaced the fuel line and put a see thru fuel filter on. cleaned the carbs and changed the o-rings. I put it all back together and it run like brand new, for about fifty miles. DID YOU CATCH WHAT I DIDNOT CHANGE. The bowl gaskets, yep dumb dumb dumb. the gaskets looked fine but after I tore them down again pieces of the gasket were the obvuios culprit. so now I have some new gaskets on order and hopefully the fifth time will be the charm.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBINTHAHAT View Post
                    I replaced the fuel line and put a see thru fuel filter on. ... it run like brand new, for about fifty miles.
                    There seem to be two types of fuel filters: those that work on our bikes and those that don't. 8-[

The fact that it worked for about 50 miles shows that you happened to get one of the good ones. Some filters don't flow much unless the fuel is pushed through them with a pump. Our only pump is gravity.

Tossing a PM your way, too. If you need some hands-on help with your bike, let me know. You are not that far away from me. \\/

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X