Trying to find inexpensive tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find inexpensive tires.

Hey, everyone. I'm trying to find inexpensive tires for my '82 GS650GL. The OEM for the rear is 130/90-16. I"m finding them pretty easily for a decent price. However, I can NOT find a 90/90-19 for under $60 and that's if I can even find them! ANyone have a recommendation?

Yes. Use a 100/90-19 on the front. Besides being more common, it will also eliminate the speedometer error. \\/

Some good tires that are also inexpensive (I didn't want to say cheap) are the CS Hi-Max tires.
    They are available from Tires Unlimited and other places.
    Tires Unlimited has them for $37 for the front and $43 for the rear, plus shipping, of course.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mr. alstensby,

I just put on a set of Bridgestone S11 (Spitfire). They have a 90/90-19 front at a reasonable price (tiresunlimited.com lists at $52.51). The 130/90-16 rear is $68.16. They also have 100/90 and 110/90 front tire sizes. My nooby little tire story is here. So far, I like the Bridgestones. I haven't tried the Cheng Shin Hi-Max, but a lot of folks here like them.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If money is part of the equation, the Cheng Shin HiMax wins every time. They're outstanding tire for the price (plenty of wet road traction, you can ride hard on them, and they last pretty well, too), plus they're available in a huge range of sizes. I usually got 7,000 - 8,000 commuting miles out of a set on my GS850, and you'll likely do better yet on your 650.

As far as cost per mile, the Dunlop 491 or Elite III wins -- they cost a lot more than the Cheng Shins, but they wear like iron (15,000+ miles) and perform very well throughout their lifetime.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Mr. alstensby,

I just put on a set of Bridgestone S11 (Spitfire). They have a 90/90-19 front at a reasonable price (tiresunlimited.com lists at $52.51). The 130/90-16 rear is $68.16. They also have 100/90 and 110/90 front tire sizes. My nooby little tire story is here. So far, I like the Bridgestones. I haven't tried the Cheng Shin Hi-Max, but a lot of folks here like them.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          The Bridgestone Spitfires are a nice handling and decently priced tire, but I only got 3,200 miles out of my set, and the scalloping and poor handling from wear was really getting obnoxious near the end of their lifetime. YMMV, of course. I'm pretty hard on tires. Dunlop's D404 is much the same -- it looks good, is moderately priced, and handles well when new, but doesn't last very long and does not age gracefully at all.

For sport riding on a GS, the Pirelli Sport Demon is the acknowledged champion -- you can get an honest 5,000 - 6,000 hard miles out of a set, and they stick like glue and feel absolutely magical the whole way. Not cheap, but once you try a set, you'll pay happily.

For even less money than the Spitfires or D404s, you can get excellent handling and much longer life from a set of Cheng Shin HiMax. If you can spend more, either go for the long life of the Dunlop 491 or Elite III, or enjoy the amazing feel of the Pirelli Sport Demons.

Bridgestone's BT45 is also an excellent choice, although I haven't personally tried a set. The brand new Avon AM26 RoadRider looks like it might be a competitor to the Pirelli Sport Demon -- much the same design goals but at a better price than the Pirelli. Not too many in use yet, but early feedback is excellent, and I might try a set of these later this summer.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Comment

I have used the Hi-Max before on another bike. The dealer recommended them, they were on sale and mounting was even free, so I bit.
              I wasn't disappointed, even in the rain.

Maxxis (spelling?) is another one that I have gotten that wasn't too expensive, but was pretty decent for the money.

That is a good price on the Bridgestone Spitfires, I have also bought a few sets of tires from tiresunlimited. I have gotten tires in two days and the prices are the best I have found lately. I think they will even beat their competitors, but many places will do that now. Even Dennis Kirk!

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
                Maxxis (spelling?) is another one that I have gotten that wasn't too expensive, but was pretty decent for the money.
                Cheng Shin makes the Maxxis line of tires.

Comment

I have CS HiMax, and I'm scraping pegs in the dry and wet.
                  My friend has a set of BS spitfires, but he's now looking at switching to CS HiMax, as the CS is a softer, much stickier tire.

Comment

Try these guys. very good prices. I'll probably go back to CS Himax once these D404's wear out unless I happen to be able to afford Elite III's. Don't get Dunlop D404's. They don't wear well at all.

America's trusted online source to shop the best discounted Motorcycle, UTV, ATV, Side by Side, and 4 Wheeler aftermarket tires, gear, parts and accessories.

Comment

More tire ?'s for '80 GS750

I'm looking for what seems to be the consensus for which is the best (sticky, stable, dependable) rubber?
                      From this and other threads, I'm getting that for bias ply, the Pirelli Demons, and possibly the Avon A26's are the ticket. Anyone used the Dunlop GT501's? (I haven't used bias since the days of the K-81 ) Any more updates on the Avon?
                      I also noted that some use the 100/90-19 instead of the 3.25 - 19 front tire designation. Is that correct, and what works for the rear? The WebBikeWorld site shows that the 4.00 would use the 110/90. Has anyone tried a 120/90 without difficulty?
                      I've learned that the least expensive insurance policy is a good set of sticky tires. Payin' some extra on tires is nothin' compared to the confidence provided and possible hospital bills avoided...
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2008, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
                        From this and other threads, I'm getting that for bias ply, ...
                        Was there even the slightest chance you were looking at radials? :shock:

Don't bother. The rims on the GS bikes are nowhere near wide enough to properly support a radial tire. 8-[

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Was there even the slightest chance you were looking at radials? :shock:

Don't bother. The rims on the GS bikes are nowhere near wide enough to properly support a radial tire. 8-[

](*,) been down that thread of tears... its now my bias the the bias of this forum is that for GS, the bias tire is the bias, and that ain't no b s

Comment

Originally posted by jlvdo View Post
                            ](*,) been down that thread of tears... its now my bias the the bias of this forum is that for GS, the bias tire is the bias, and that ain't no b s
                            Except for when you swap out your stock wheels for rims made for radials.... :-\" Then it's all about the sportbike radial rubber like the Michelin Pilot Powers. \\/

Seriously though, the Pirelli Sport Demons are a fantastic bias tire, great grip wet or dry and decent mileage.

Comment

To me the GT501 Dunlop is the best bang for the buck.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X