Trying to find inexpensive tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    To me the GT501 Dunlop is the best bang for the buck.
    Why? Can you site any situations where they performed, saved yer bacon, etc? I would be real helpful... thanks.

Comment

They are more inexpensive for a sport tire and sticks to the road really nice. I eat a rear tire a year but I ride hard and feel safe.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        They are more inexpensive for a sport tire and sticks to the road really nice. I eat a rear tire a year but I ride hard and feel safe.
        Thanks for the feedback.
        A question for you, or anyone else: anyone tried the tires/a GS on a track? If so, what were the tires and performance??

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post
          Try these guys. very good prices. I'll probably go back to CS Himax once these D404's wear out unless I happen to be able to afford Elite III's. Don't get Dunlop D404's. They don't wear well at all.

http://www.americanmototire.com/

I've gotten 6000mi on a rear tire but that's not awe inspiring. Maybe it will go 7000? I wear out the center only of the tire. Guess I should move back to the hills?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
            I've gotten 6000mi on a rear tire but that's not awe inspiring. Maybe it will go 7000? I wear out the center only of the tire. Guess I should move back to the hills?
            With no special effort, my wife got about 14,000 on the rear of her 850L, using Cheng Shin Hi-Max. I have not measured the tread left on the front, but it is low enough that I will be replacing both of them, probably with Dunlop E3.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              With no special effort, my wife got about 14,000 on the rear of her 850L, using Cheng Shin Hi-Max. I have not measured the tread left on the front, but it is low enough that I will be replacing both of them, probably with Dunlop E3.

Me thinks I put my questions under the wrong thread! There are many definitions of "inexpensive." I my world, price does not necessarily make a tire inexpensive. With the amount of caged drivers blabbing on cell phones, blue hairs, and people who just don't pay attention, a tire that will perform when its asked to, is cheap. Other definitions will work well for others: longevity, initial cash outlay, etc, all good definitions; just not the one I'm looking for. So, having learned yet more from this forum, I'm jumping threads. Thanks for the opinions so far...

Comment

I spite of my earlier disdain for "made in china" tires, I have seen nothing but good words here for the Hi-Max. I may even try some myself. Partly because of everyones praise and because I found out they are made in Taiwan and not china. If anyone is interested so far I have found Bike Bandit to have by far the best price for these tires.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                  If anyone is interested so far I have found Bike Bandit to have by far the best price for these tires.
                  That just might be true for most of you, but Tires Unlimited is just 20 minutes up the road for me.
                  I take my wheels off the bike and have them mount and balance the tires. \\/

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is a motorcycle tire and rim shop a couple of miles from me. he does alot of respoking and trueing of wheels and also sells tires. My GS425 needed new rubber and i used Cheng Shin for replacements. The tires were balanced and new tubes. He also trued up the front wheel.

This made a vast difference in handling of the bike. I read a couple threads about the handlebars wobbling going down the road and everyone's concensus was that the steering head bearings needed adjustment, Not so. The new tire and trueing of the wheel eliminated any vibration and wobble. I can say much for the wear on the tires yet, but they are very nice to ride on. I can't remember the series of tire, but it was the cheaper line of Cheng Shin not the HI Max Or Maxi.

My .02

Jim
                    GS Score Card
                    4-400 Series GS's
                    3-500 Series
                    1-600 Series
                    1-700 Series
                    4-800 Series
                    1-1000 Series
                    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      That just might be true for most of you, but Tires Unlimited is just 20 minutes up the road for me.
                      I take my wheels off the bike and have them mount and balance the tires. \\/

Hard to beat a deal like that.

Comment

Was happy with the Pirelli MT66 Route tires I had on my GS650GL. Cruisercustomizing.com had good prices

Comment

Working...
                        X