Possible to repack a V&H muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to repack a V&H muffler?

I took appart my V&H muffler today so it can me sanded and repainted. When I pulled the innards out the fiberglass was all destroyed and looked burnt up. There was also a lot of rust patches stuck to it. So my question is... can the fiberglass be replaced? Where can I get the replacement fiberglass? If it can't be replaced, what dangers were there be if I put it back together without the fiberglass?

Matt, when you took your muffler apart, is there a baffle inside that the fiberglass is wrapped around?
    If that is the case, any "decent" M/C shop should have the fiberglass wrapping. I had to re-do my baffles on my GT250 and was able to buy a Vance and Hines package, Easily enough to do my pipes(2) 3 or 4 more times.
    Hope this helps
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Some of the bike catalog stores sell the packing. You can use standard fiberglass insulation but it doesn't last long before burning out. If you can get some stainless wool and wrap around the baffle first it will help the fiberglass last longer. Don't use regular steel wool. It will be a pile of rust in no time. If you run it without insulation about the only effect is it will be louder.

Comment

Dennis Kirk. Just bought a bag of Kerker baffle wrap 2 or 3 weeks ago for $22 and there's enough for at least 2 repacks. Oh, no dangers without the wrapping, but she'll growl a little louder.

Comment

Iv'e been useing standard fiberglass insulation found at variety and hardware stores for years and it works great. Plus it only costs about 5 bucks for a big roll.

Comment

I used medium grade industrial steel wool then wrapped it in a layer of builders fiberglass........it has lasted over a year and cost very little

Comment

Wrap a round of screen wire around the baffel firsa & secure it with hose clamps. Then use the cheap house insulation on top of that. Put all the insulation on that you can, and still get it back in the pipe.

Comment

Working...
              X