Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G wont start

I recently bought a GS 1000 G

Put a new battery in (according to manual specs)
    when i push the ignition switch the started turns no problem.
    It just uses so much electrical power that there is no spark.
    it pulls the batery down to 7.6 V.

Replaced the oil and all of a sudden it started like a dream for two weeks.

Now again no start.

If i push-start her she starts within 3-5meters (if i also press the starter when releasing the clutch).

plugs are also relavtively new (2 months)

regulator is fine.

Ones the presure is of the starter having to crank the engine it has enough power to start.

PLEASE HELP

Have you cleaned ALL your connections (the grounds and positives)? Checked to ensure that you have 12+ volts, static and 14.5+ while running at 4500 RPMs? If all checks out ok there, you may be in for a starter rebuild, or the starter clutch may be hanging up and binding.

Comment

Is the battery fully charged? What voltage is the battery at when sitting? If the battery is truely good and charged your possibly looking at a starter rebuild

Comment

Check your petcock to see if it shuts off. If gas overflows through the float needles or through the vacuum line to carb #2 it will run into your cylinder and hydrolock the engine. The starter will not turn it over and you could damage the starter clutch. Plus the oil is contaminated with gas, which is no good for the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LucasMeyer View Post
          I recently bought a GS 1000 G

Put a new battery in (according to manual specs)
          when i push the ignition switch the started turns no problem.
          It just uses so much electrical power that there is no spark.
          it pulls the batery down to 7.6 V.

Replaced the oil and all of a sudden it started like a dream for two weeks.

Now again no start.

If i push-start her she starts within 3-5meters (if i also press the starter when releasing the clutch).

plugs are also relavtively new (2 months)

regulator is fine.

Ones the presure is of the starter having to crank the engine it has enough power to start.

PLEASE HELP
          my guess is wiring grounding somewhere or starter windings shorted. if not wiring time for another starter.

Comment

Ok
            Batery voltage is 12.1V when sitting.
            She Charges to 14 V when at 4500rpm
            the starter motor turns fine and turns the engine over.
            she does flood instantly so i will have the Petcock of today and check the filters and vacuum.
            Will also check the wiring again.
            once runing she only wnats to accelerate if the throtle is opened smoothly but if i open it fast she flatspots for about 5 sec before the revs pick up again.
            As if the vacuum does not pull the carbs open quick enough.

Comment

feedback

Ok I have checked the vacuum = Ok fuel flows properly no blockages etc.
              There is absolutely no spark as soon as I press the starter button.
              Yet when I push the bike release the clutch and press the starter button then suddenly there is spark and she starts but if she is stationary,in neutral then not a single spark.
              When i press the starter button the starter motor drops the voltage to 11.2 so there should be enough for the spark.

Comment

Working...
              X