Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright spark?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum so if this has been covered before please feel free to shout at me:-D. I did search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Just bought a 1980 GS550E. Picked her up last night as a non-runner. It's got an electronic ignition system and K&N filters. Battery seems good and will turn over on start button. Compression via plug hole seems good. Fuel seems to be flowing (by the smell) but she won't fire up.

The guy I bought it off has not rejetted when he replaced the airbox with 4 K&N's and when I try the spark with the plus at the side of the block it is sparking but I'm not sure whether it's a good spark or not.

Any ideas to start me off?

cheers
    Kevin

ps here's a picture of my new GS550

Bright spark

Hello,
    The spark should have a good blue color to it. If The previous owner didnt rejet then the carbs could be on the lean side wich can cause a few problems. Running too lean is pretty hard on the motor. Esp on air cooled engines. You might try checking your float bowles and see if there is fuel there and what shape it is in. Rusty, full of water ect. Check your battery voltage while your cranking the bike, it shouldnt drop anymore that about 1 volt. IF I have any of this wrong Some of the others people on will correct me.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Don't mean to be insulting, but when you try to start the bike, use NO throttle.......choke only. Opening the throttle when trying to start your GS renders the choke ineffective.

Comment

WELCOME!!!! (You did say we could shout.)
        What all have you done so far? Have you drained the carbs and the fuel tank yet? Have you pulled the carbs to see what shape they are in? If not, those are the first things I would try.
        As suggested before, a good spark color would be blue. Anything less indicates a weak spark, yellow being the worst possible, IIRC.
        Best of luck, and keep us posted. And welcome to GSR.

Comment

Bright Spark?

Hi,
          Thanks for your help.

The spark is blue and even at a distance of 3-4mm from the block archs across and remains blue. I've managed to get two cylinders running using a combination of choke and throttle, but thanks for letting me know about the throttle disabling the choke.

I'll have a look at the float bowl contents tomorrow and see where we go from there.

Thanks again
          Kevin

Comment

If it was a non-runner and fuel was left in the system then there's about a 99% chance the carbs need cleaning.

Comment

If you don't know how old that gas is, it doesn't hurt to drain and clean the tank and start with fresh fuel.

Comment

Ok Managed to get her firing on all 4 :-D. I replaced the plugs (stupid me forgot that I was getting a spark but with a spare plug not the plugs that were fitted!) and she burst into life.

Starts on full choke and then down to about 1/4 choke but cuts out after that and won't idle. I did make a huge mistake when she first cut out by not putting the tank tap on reserve....yep no gas not start! Lots of smoke out the back (probably all the crap fuel).

I think I need to clean the carbs or would it be better filling up with clean fuel and running her for a while to burn the bad fuel out?

cheers
                Kevin

Comment

Don't feel bad i've dont worse. From wha i have read the 80's and newer carbs. are pretty perticular about the conditions of the jets and o-rings. so i would say now that it starts, to get it running right you need to clean out the carbs. (not just burn out the old fuel) And btw welcome to GS I am pretty new here also but I can't even begin to say how much these people have helped. Good luck and keep use posted.:-D

Comment

Working...
                  X