Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She Fired Up Today! (Clutch and Tire Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She Fired Up Today! (Clutch and Tire Question)

Thank you to every one who has been helping me with my bike... if it were for this site and all your wisdom... I'd still be far from turning the key.

Today I turn the key and after a little priming.... she fired up! She needs some adjustments... heading to play with that now... but I was happy happy (yes written twice) to hear her running.

Two questions... 82 GS650E (That actually runs now! \\/)

The clutch is "stiff" (not a strong guy... but it takes some muscle to pull in) I removed the cable from the engine side and tired it while it was free... and the cable itself is very free moving... which means it seems to be internal. Is it possible that this will loosen up with a little usage? (Bike has been sitting for awhile... in fact I am not sure how long) Or could it mean I need to address something?

Second Question...

I am trying to keep my cost down (like everyone else) The bike needs new rubber... at least in the back. The shop said $55 for labor and balance if I drive the bike in.... $30 if I bring just the tire in. I have never removed and reinstalled tires from a bike before... is it worth the $25?

Thanks folks!

I just removed/replaced my wheel for the first time, it wasn't difficult. You need a large adjustable wrench in addition to your socket set. The time-consuming part for me was getting the chain tension right. Also, you get the chance to check out your shoes (if applicable).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Cooked View Post
      Second Question...

I am trying to keep my cost down (like everyone else) The bike needs new rubber... at least in the back. The shop said $55 for labor and balance if I drive the bike in.... $30 if I bring just the tire in. I have never removed and reinstalled tires from a bike before... is it worth the $25?

Thanks folks!
      You need to know how to remove and reinstall the wheels anyway, so if I were you, I'd go ahead and do it.

You'll probably also want to replace that front tire soon, too -- I've always hated the feel of a worn front tire, and it really feels awful when the rear is new. But one thing at a time -- there's only so much money one can throw at one's bike.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

25 dollars is almost 24 beer
        yes it is worth it

changing a whell isnt hard and once you do it a few times you will be an expert

there si an added bonus to doing it yourself in that you get to insepct breake linings chain\sprocket conditin etc.

Comment

As for the clutch, there is a good chance that it will loosen up with use. As long as the cable is free moving (I'd take it off and give a good oiling) the clutch is most likely stiff from non use.

As for the price on the tire...unless you have the place and the time to do the work, that price seems very fair to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
            25 dollars is almost 24 beer
            yes it is worth it

changing a whell isnt hard and once you do it a few times you will be an expert

there si an added bonus to doing it yourself in that you get to insepct breake linings chain\sprocket conditin etc.
            Nothing like using the Beer / Barter system to make an educated decision...that is befor the addition of the beer! :-D

Comment

you should pull the wheels yourself. it is fun, saves cash, and is an easy way to build a little confidence working on your own

do you have a Climbers manual? you could try to adjust the clutch via the manual, and make sure you have the proper oil in there. also, if your bike fell, it might have bent the clutch lever in an odd way, binding on the bolt or bracket making it harder to pull? chances are it will loosen a little as you work it if the bike hasn't moved around in a while

please don't mess around with tires. get some decent rubber on there and maintain your tire pressures! if money is tight, get some Cheng Shins online and bring them in with the wheels

Comment

I am going to move forward with pulling the tires myself. The money saved can be used for new mirrors... bike came with none. And as many of you have stated... the experience is worth it!

I can't believe I may get to ride it before winter hits! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks folks!

~ Russ

Comment

Once you get a manual and a little confidence in your wrenching you can go into the clutch and check to see how tight the springs have been cranked down. They may be stiffer than they need to be.

Comment

I can't believe I may get to ride it before winter hits! Keeping my fingers crossed.
                    You might be too late there, Russ. Your two weeks of decent weather might already be up. 8-[

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

.... The money saved can be used for new mirrors... bike came with none. And as many of you have stated... the experience is worth it...
                      As Brian said, new rubber makes such a difference. When I bought my KZ (81) in 96, the front tire was original. Very scary. I rode it home and immediately replaced it, the rear the next year. Nothing so impressive as new rubber.
                      "What is behind me, is not important". Quote from movie Cannonball Run. But for a mere mortal as myself, I like knowing.

Comment

Re the clutch, the previous owner may have put in heavy duty springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          Once you get a manual and a little confidence in your wrenching you can go into the clutch and check to see how tight the springs have been cranked down. They may be stiffer than they need to be.
                          Sorry it this sound contrary to what you posted Billy but there is no adjustment on the springs in terms of how stiff they are. The springs are what the springs are - and they are most likely stock.

Lubing the cable is a good idea but in my experience, if the cable has more than 15k on it, a new cable will be smoother still. Well worth the $15 a new one costs. This is particularly true if the original cable has not been maintained - which most aren't.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            You might be too late there, Russ. Your two weeks of decent weather might already be up. 8-[

Yep! His goose might be "Cooked".
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X