Hello everybody !!!

'82 gs750E
    K&N pods/ (didn't have stock airbox)
    Stock 4/2 exaust
    Mikuni BS 32 (CV's)
    current jets: 112.5 main, 42.5 primary, 170 air
    New aftermarket stator/regulator/rectifier
    Complete "Dyna 2000" ignition system

Need jetting recommendation...I am a master carb re-builder (auto's only up to now) and have cleaned/rebuilt these carbs. Have gotten out most bugs in carbs up to now thru the use of searching (countless hours) this forum. After re-build had many issues..wouldn't start/idle, bogging, etc. One by one, I solved most of the problems. I think I'm at the re-jetting stage. According to technical forums these carbs (with pods) is the hardest combo to dial in. No jet kits available for this combo..but don't mind buying jets by the piece. I realize that until WOT that the carbs are pulling off the pilot circuit... so the place to start jetting is with the pilot and air jets. The bike starts and idles perfect at 900 RPM's !!!(no vacumn leaks !!!) and will set to 1100 when done tuning..... but requires choke to be left on (enrichening) to get'er down the road. It bogs at about 4500 rpm to 6000 rpm at WOT which I believe is the 'transition' from pilot circuit to main circuit, but after that it pulls stong up to +9500. Plug check confirms LEAN condition.
    I realize that compression and such are going to play a part in final, perfect tuning, but somebody out there has had to have had the same problem and could provide an initial or even final jetting recommendation. I've been on-line on the GSresources forums for hours this morning alone and I can find nothing. I'm getting burnt out man...(wanh,wanh,wanh). Can anybody help??? Also..are there any pics of how to do the needle jet, adjust position, thing?

1)Floats set to knats-ass
    2)removed hoses from bowl vents (turbulence issue/ thank you Keith)
    3)primary circuit screws = OUT/ 4 turns (suggests compensating for lean condition) for highest/smoothest idle at 1500 RPM
    4)5/16 fuel line
    5)replaced vacumn petcock with simple on/off version and plugged vac. line at carb
    6) carbs bench synched to knats-ass

mugwampbro@hotmail.com...I will post final tuning when done and maybe it help someone else..Thanx..JOE
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 05:26 PM.

FWIW, there IS a Dynojet stage 3 kit for your bike: http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/suzuki.aspx

I just installed a DJ stage 3 kit on my GS1000 along with pods and a 4 into 1, seems to work well (fast revving, no flat spots) but I have yet to ride the bike. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of rejetting.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you need to raise the needle. If you don't have a jet needle with notches you can shim it with washers. I got a mini variety pack from Radio Shack and it had the right sizes. Two washers = one notch. I would start raising it two notches.
      Personally I would get a Dynojet kit.

Looks like your running stock jets with K&N pods. That won't work. I would start with 117.5 mains. If you don't notice a difference in you idle backing out your idle mixture screws go up to 45 on the pilot jet. Plus do raise the jet needle two notches.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That's the kind of info I'm looking for and thanx. The dynajet kits start with a 122.5 main and do not include any pilot jets and also say they are for pods and aftermarket exaust, which would explain the big jump in main jet size. Stage 1 and 3. Thats why I said they don't make a kit for my application.
        I think I'm going to wait for more responses before I tear into the carbs again..and thank you for the recommendation....everybody, Keep 'em coming !!!!

Comment

Use the Dynojet DJ124 main jets for pods with the stock exhaust. Check step 3 in the stage 3 directions here: http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3315.pdf which says "If you are running the stock exhaust (with pods) use the DJ124 main jets".

Keep in mind that the Dynojet jet size numbers do not seem equivalent to the Mikuni numbers - different scale apparently. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I used a DJ170 main on the GS1000 with pipe/pods which sounded HUGE, but the bike seems to run well.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Mikuni jets are sized by volume of gas flow. The Dynojets use the actual size. I run 138 dynojet mains which are close to 127.5 in Mikuni land. If the Dynojet suggestion is 124 that is close to 115 Mikuni. I would still start with the 117.5. I like to start big and work my way down. Less holes in the pistons this way.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OH..those 'PESKY" holes in pistons !!! Thanx for the imput !! After countless hours of research on this exellent forum though, I believe that this bike runs off the pilot (primary) jets until WOT. I am running lean and according to my research.. the 4 or more turns out on pilot screw that I have to make to make it somewhat rideable, confirms this. It seems the logical place to start is with the pilot circuit. Since the DJ kits don't address this issue and are quite expensive.. I am hesitant to purchase. Keep the feedback coming!!

Comment

I thought this diagram explains the relationship between the pilot, needle, and main pretty well.

Comment

Also, remember... the stumbling and bogging occur from takeoff to about 6000 RPM... (at all throttle positions)...after that it pulls like a MACK truck all the way to redline. Plug check still comfirms 'lean condition' though.... so I know I'll have to increase main jet size..I just don't think that is the place to start. But correct me if I'm wrong
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

spend the money and get the dynojet stage 3, it comes with the jets you will need and lots of other goodies so you can tune it correctly, i would not try to jet it out without the kit, buying the stuff a bit at a time and you will find yourself tearing those carbs apart over and over again trying to tune it just right.

i put in the stage 3 and have had to make no adjustments so far, just follow the directions and you should be good... the stage 3 can be had for right at 100 bucks if you search around!

Comment

TO GS750: Do you have just the pods change? what size pilot jet are you using? you did only a main jet change to fix???

Comment

i have pods and the v&h 4-1, i installed the complete stage 3 kit, they come with 2 sizes of jets, i used the largest ones they had i think it said 130 but i cant remember.. it comes with new adjustable needles, you have to drill out the air hole in the pistons ( comes with bit) and there is a restrictor for the air inlet hole in the front of the carb.....

it runs great so far... i have a tiny bit of tuning to do but thats just getting the air/fuel screws just right, and setting the needle hights (if they need it)

im waiting on a new front tire before i can really open her up
                        my old one is dangerous!

Comment

the stage 3 comes with 2 sizes of jets, and you would need the smaller ones, but the adjustable needles and restrictors are well worth it,

it also comes with a complete instruction guide to help you tune it too...

the idle circuit DOES NOT CHANGE. it really makes no difference at that low of rpm as long as your air/fuel screws are right!

Comment

First of all, K&N pods and stock exhaust are a poor flow match. Neither a stage 1 or 3 kit is designed for that combo. So trying to buy separate jets and getting it right the first try is difficult. I personally would find a good pipe or go back to the stock air box.
                            When testing the various jetting circuits, remember that approx' 3/4 to full is the main jet, 1/4 to 3/4 is the jet needle, and closed throttle to 1/4 is the pilot circuit. Charts/others opinions vary a bit, but allowing for some overlap between the three circuits, those are the basics. It's about throttle position, not rpm's.
                            Pods will effect the main and jet needle circuits the most. Simple richer mixture screw adjustment should be enough for the pilot circuit.

What I'm not sure about is your factory/stock main jet size. Is it 112.5??
                            If so, I don't understand the info at that link showing the DJ stage 3 kit recommending a size 124? That's approx' the same size as a 115 to 117.5 Mikuni jet AND that's an increase allowing for a pipe too? What would they recommend without the pipe, a DJ118 or ? That would actually be a smaller than stock main. Makes no sense, if indeed the stock main here is a 112.5 or very close.
                            Pending what the correct main jet is, I'll take a guess based on past experience, though I don't have a whole lot of actual test experience with pods and stock exhaust combo. I do have some. I can only suggest what makes sense to me. The trick is understanding that pipe doesn't flow as well as the filters. The pipe compromises the pods, but how much?
                            For K&N pods, oiled correctly, I'd try a minimum of 3 full sizes up (15) and a maximum of 5 full sizes up (25), for the main jets. So I'd go in the middle and get 132.5 mains if the stock jets are 112.5.
                            For the jet needles, a minimum of 1 position richer and a maximum of 2 positions richer when using the stock needles. Again, I'd try the middle, 1 1/2 positions. If US model, your needles are non-adjustable so you have to shim them. A typical jetting spacer (used for 1/2 position changes) is approx' .022" thick. So I'd shim the needles approx' .065/.070" and test.
                            For the pilot circuit, I'd try an additional 1 full turn richer than where the screws were from the factory. Generally, you set these screws using the highest rpm method. If you have problems, then the pilot jet is the wrong size to begin with. In your case, the screw would usually be 2 to 3 full turns out.
                            If you notice throttle response issues, then you will have to drill out the orifice to each diaphragm/piston chamber.
                            Remember it's easy to over-oil the pods. 1 quick pass from about 5" to shoot 2 or 3 pleats at a time as I rotate the filter is my method. Shooting each pleat as per K&N instructions seems a bit much and after some trial and error, I don't follow that anymore.
                            As for the order of circuit testing, the majority jet the main first, the needle second, the pilot last.
                            I've jetted that way, and I've many times found jetting the needle first, the main second, and the pilot last, to work and even be easier sometimes. Many times I've jetted the mains to what I thought was right, only to find that I now had a bog at high speed roll on after my jet needles were dialed in. Though the bikes seemed to handle the main jet at full throttle when accelerating through the gears, opening it up (such as to pass) from cruising in top gear resulted in bogging/hesitation. In this case, I always get the jet needle perfect and if I'm slightly compromising the main jet, oh well. Real world passing/accelerating power is more important than straight through drag racing. You spend the most time riding on the jet needles and they should be right.
                            So it depends on your bike and the mods as to what sequence is quicker or easier/more accurate.
                            I'd get the jet needles mixing right at a solid 1/3 throttle according to the plug reads first. Then I'd simply run the largest main that gives you the best top end WITHOUT creating a bog/hesitation during a roll on from top gear at approx' 55/65 mph. Then I'd get the pilot circuit set so the bike warms up correctly with a "normal" amount of choke, and cruises around town without any surging/hesitation at steady speeds and the plug colors look good. Keep in mind that a little decel' pop is normal with pods. If too much popping, then try richer screw adjustments. In my opinion, 4 turns out is the maximum range the screws have and after that you need larger pilot jets. If it "spits" out the pods, same procedure.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

dear master carb-rebuilder;
                              If you are more than 3 1/2 turns out on the pilot screws you need to go up a jet size, Its going to take a while to dial that thing in, the main jet is in the mix as soon as the needle hits the taper, if not a little before.
                              raise the needles-go up a jet size-raise the needles- go up a jet size-repeat as required, or as someone else suggested start rich and work down, but it may be harder to read plugs that way. If the local shop is friendly you should be able to trade jets.
                              good idea using the choke to confirm whether you are rich or lean, you can't do that if you start out rich.
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                              X