Pin Striping before or after??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin Striping before or after??

I'm painting my gas tank. I want to put pin striping on it, but don't know if I should do it before I apply the clear coat, or after. I know somebody out there has the answer.

Terry

Are you going to paint the stripes or use decals??

Comment

Re: Pin Striping before or after??

Terry, the clear coat goes over the pinstriping.

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose
      I'm painting my gas tank. I want to put pin striping on it, but don't know if I should do it before I apply the clear coat, or after. I know somebody out there has the answer.

Terry
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        Terry, the clear coat goes over the pinstriping.

Earl

Terry
        When I saw your post, it reminded me that you seem to know quite a lot about painting. I like the post you made about paints and painting.

I'm going to use pin striping tape, so I presume it still goes on before the clearcoat.

Thanks,

Terry

Comment

I am in the same boat. I am repainting my tank and side covers and would like to but pin stripes on them. Do they make a decal or will I have to have them painted on.

Comment

Greg, you can buy pinstriping tape at most auto parts stores and auto paint stores. It comes in lots of colors and widths.

Comment

Depending upon the year and model, the original Suzuki striping and decals may still be available at your dealer or bikebandit.

Comment

Hopefully, I know something about paint as part of my job is to oversee composite fabrication and coatings (paint) :-) for a marine service facility. Yes, the clearcoat goes on top of the pinstriping tape. When you use the tape, (I dont know if youre aware of this so I'll just throw it in) :-)
                The pinstripe tape is three layers. There is a sticky backing that you remove and then apply the tape. The color layer (stripe) is the center layer and that stays on the tank. The top surface is a peel away clear plastic similar to saran wrap. You must peel off the protective clear layer once the stripe is applied.

Earl

When I saw your post, it reminded me that you seem to know quite a lot about painting. I like the post you made about paints and painting.

I'm going to use pin striping tape, so I presume it still goes on before the clearcoat.

Thanks,

Terry
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                X