Trying to start an '82 GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to start an '82 GS650GL

Hey, everyone. I'm trying to get my bike running. I don't know much about the history of it as it's been sitting in my neighbors garage for the better part of the last 3-4 years (the fee was $50 and "give my garage space back"). It was their son's and he's not around any more. I've changed the oil and cleaned the carbs really well (fluid is now running clear after sitting). I'm getting fuel to the carbs with no problem. I bought a new battery, but have been testing things just using the battery from my wife's bike ('81 GS550) or cables coming from my car. All the electric is working fine and I'm getting a good blue arc when checking my wires. So, tonight, I'm going to pull the plugs and just replace them. On a side note, can anyone tell me what size plug-socket I need? I checked the ones I have and none of them fit and forgot to check the size. I was going to stop and pick one up along with the plugs on my way home.

Anyhow...back to the issue. She's turning plenty strong. I tried for a couple minutes with no luck. After letting it sit for about 5-10, I tried again. Just as I stopped trying to turn it over, she popped and that was it. Did that a second time. That's about the extent of what I'm getting. I know my way around a car better than most people but know nothing about bikes and have never really had to deal with carbs. Everything seems semi-similar, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

plug should be 18 MM
    a nice deep socket will do nicely rather than a plug wrench

Comment

You say you "cleaned the carbs really well". Did you remove them from the bike, take all the jets and other little pieces out and dip the metallic pieces in carb cleaner overnight? Or did you simply remove the float bowls and clean out all the crud you could see?

After sitting for 3-4 years, there is absolutely no doubt that you will have to completely disassemble the carbs and dip them and replace all the o-rings.

Please note that I am not shouting at you with the bold letters, they are links to pages that tell you how to do it. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, here comes my "speech to the newcomer restoring an old bike":

I think you need to see the big picture besides tackling your immediate/first problem.

Instead of going about the restoration process piece-meal, why don't you search for the many posts on this forum (some by me) that list the many "sanity-check" steps/verifications needed when restoring a bike that's been sitting (based on what you've said, you definitely should consider your bike as belonging to this category) - and then actually DO the checks.
        This will save you MANY hours of frustration and TONS of money.
        If you're a beginner (in terms of mechanical skill) you're looking at between 30 and 60 hours of work and a couple of hundred dollars for purchasing tools you'll need (besides whatever parts you need for the bike). In the end you'll have a reliable machine for a fraction of the cost of a new bike.

Comment

Working...
        X