80 gs1100E starter not engaging crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs1100E starter not engaging crank

The gears are turning on the starter and all the gears around the generator but the crank does not turn. any ideas?

Thanks
    Drew

Two words: starter clutch. Remove and inspect. You have sheared bolts or busted/weak springs.

Comment

Got the same problem on mine. PRAY that it's worn springs or sheared bolts and not this:

Hint: It's supposed to be one piece. If it's the bolts or the springs, $10 has you back on the road. If it's this, the cheapest I've found new is $140. The bolts were fine on mine, one spring was broken near the end. The cogs and pushrods were fine! Springs are about $1.35 each, bolts maybe a little more, I'd replace both. Check the forum here for the best r/r advice.

Quick edit: Forgot to include the price of the stator cover gasket. Okay, a little more than $10.......Oh, and you'll need a special puller or you can do what I did: 4" long 14mm x 1.5 pitch industrial grade bolt. $2.45 versus $20 for the tool. If you go the tool route it's called a rotor removal tool or magneto remover. Several links here to sites that sell them, just look up "starter clutch"
      Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I'll get on it as soon as I can and post what I found

Comment

Well mine was weak springs. I replaced all the parts for about 39 dollars and it is working well. I am suprised that those springs are powerful enought to grab the crank.(they look weaker than ball point pen springs. Thanks so much for your time. and good luck with your starter clutch.

Drew

Comment

Working...
          X