GS1100G final drive has had it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G final drive has had it!

Hi all, I have a 1984 GS1100G. It has given me 4 years of trouble free riding all over Oz. Until now!! The diff seal began to leak, so I pulled the diff down to replace it. Imagine my surprise when I find I am riding on about 1mm of what is left of the final drive cog. (the cog that engages into the rear wheel). The crown wheel is in perfect condition, as is the rest of the diff. Suzuki, in their infinate wisdom, decided to manufacture the crown & final drive gear as one piece. The part was discontinued long ago & all attempts have failed to locate another diff. I would really appreciate any ideas of how to fix this problem.[-o< Also, do any other models use the same diff? ie: GS850G, 1000G?? Newer cruisers?? I have a near immaculate bike now sitting in the workshop, totally unusable because of one small part. Cheers, Paul.

The 1979 and later 850G and 1000G also used the same rear gear. And, of course, the 1100G. The 650G rear pumpkin is different.

I think the 1100GK used slightly higher gearing, so these are highly sought after transplants for those who think their 850G, 1000G, or 1100G feels too "busy" on the highway.

Too bad you're on the other end of the planet -- I've got two of these from 850Gs sitting in my garage. #-o
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-22-2007, 10:15 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Paul,

I gave these guys a call and they said they had a couple of final drives in stock that would fit: http://66.113.178.98/Merchant2/merch...tegory_Code=91 Price $175.00 less S+H.

Ask for Dick

Bent Bike: 1-800-328-8810

GS1000S
      78' GS1000EC
      79' GS850GN
      79' GS1000N
      79' GS1000EN
      81' GS1100EX

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000S View Post
        Paul,

I gave these guys a call and they said they had a couple of final drives in stock that would fit: http://66.113.178.98/Merchant2/merch...tegory_Code=91 Price $175.00 less S+H.

Ask for Dick

Bent Bike: 1-800-328-8810

GS1000S

But Washington state isn't all that much closer to Paul in Australia than Indiana... the shipping costs would be murder from anywhere in the states.

Heck, I'd be happy to sell you a final drive for a wee bit less than $175+shipping :razz:...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, a bit heavy to ship by air from the states I think! Looking through info here, it stated that the 850 was not as "tough" a drive as the 1000/1100? They reckoned they beefed 'em up to handle the extra horses & torque. If that is incorrect & I can use a diff from the 850, I believe I may be able to source one of those a lot easier. As for GK, I'll have better luck finding an honest politician than one of those:-D.
          Cheers, Paul.

Comment

The 850/1000/1100 diff are all the same Except for a few GK's touring bike with a different gear ratio 2.90 vs 3.1
            You can usually get them from ebay for $20-30. Their should be some place people advertise in OZ
            Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2007, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Have you tried a part search engine? What about these guy's?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                The 850/1000/1100 diff are all the same Except for a few GK's touring bike with a different gear ratio 2.90 vs 3.1
                You can usually get them from ebay for $20-30. Their should be some place people advertise in OZ
                Are you sure about the GK ratio difference, Lynn? I'd always heard that all were the same except for the 650's... I just picked up a 1980 matched spline set (rear wheel and final drive) off of a GS1000G, but I'd love to get an '82 GK set if I can find one.

Incidentally, Paul, you should try hard to get a matched spline set (final drive AND wheel splines) off of an '82 or earlier model if possible, because according to everything I've ever heard Suzuki switched to a softer metal in '83 (and new replacements are reportedly also made from softer steel) and the earlier splines are much more robust...

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Thanks again for the replies:-D. I have located a complete diff off a 1100G in good condition. Interesting about the wheel spline. Suzuki reckon the spline should wear out faster than the diff drive cog (about 3 to 1). Hence I can't find any 2nd hand wheel splines. Guess I'll have to cough up the $270 to Suzuki for a newy (they are still available). The diff will set me back $100. Not much more than a descent chain, but I bet I'll get alot more K's outa the diff than a chain:-D:-D. Thanks again, Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    Incidentally, Paul, you should try hard to get a matched spline set (final drive AND wheel splines) off of an '82 or earlier model if possible, because according to everything I've ever heard Suzuki switched to a softer metal in '83 (and new replacements are reportedly also made from softer steel) and the earlier splines are much more robust...
                    Planecrazy, it's 1931 or earlier. The 82 had the wheel splines made of the softer metal. I know because I had and 82 850G which left me stranded on a Sunday morning, 100 miles from home, in 1987.

The easiest way to get the older wheel splines is to go on eBay and buy an older rear wheel. Most of the time the wheel splines are left in the wheel and go with it for the sale.

I used to own a 1979 and a 1980 850G. Each of the rear wheels on my GK has the older wheel spline set. I inspect them at every wheel change and there's no appreciable wear on either, after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      Planecrazy, it's 1981 or earlier. The 82 had the wheel splines made of the softer metal. I know because I had and 82 850G which left me stranded on a Sunday morning, 100 miles from home, in 1987.

The easiest way to get the older wheel splines is to go on eBay and buy an older rear wheel. Most of the time the wheel splines are left in the wheel and go with it for the sale.

I used to own a 1979 and a 1980 850G. Each of the rear wheels on my GK has the older wheel spline set. I inspect them at every wheel change and there's no appreciable wear on either, after all these years.
                      Thanks for the clarification, Nick! I'm assuming you also know whether the GK final drive has a different gear ratio than the G?

Regards,

Comment

I'm glad you fixed my "1931", Planecrazy. Thank you.

Supposedly, the 1983 and 1984 GS1100GK have a different rear end, one with the gear ratio more conducive to lower rpm's at given speeds. I'm not sure what the ratios are.

All I know is that all of them are interchangeable: All 850G's, 1000G's, and 1100G's, all years, can be fitted with the same rear end; this applies to standard "G's", "GL's", and "GK's". They all mesh with the old (good) and the new (bad) driven wheel splines. An old (good) set of wheel splines will fit inside a new 16- or 17-in rear wheel, just the same; conversely, a new (bad) set of wheel splines will fit an older wheel as well. As I said before, I use only the old (good) wheel splines off my old 850's.

Having owned four consecutive 850G's before my GK, I can tell you my 1984 GK's gear ratio is perfect for the bike, as opposed to the 850's "busyness" at speed. On my GK I never wish for a sixth gear, which is what I did much too often on my 850's. Slightly fewer rpm's when I use the 17-inch rear wheel.

This GK has all the virtues of the 850, but it's got noticeably longer legs, and the power necessary to move them quickly. That's why it's so hard for me to think about having to replace this bike, ever. It's perfect for me, and cheap as hell. :-D

Don Pepe has the figures on the ratios, I believe. Maybe he can join in and share this in this thread.

Comment

You're welcome (though I'd love to see what a 1931 "GS" might have looked like ;-) ).

Thanks for the additional info. I am now in possession of a beautiful 1980 spline (yet to be installed) and its matching final drive (as I mentioned before), but now you've got me thinking I need to watch for a GK final drive.

I've often wished for 6th gear on my "G" so I'm guessing I'd be a touch happier if I upgraded the final drive to a "GK" unit. I wonder if there is a stamped designation on the "GK" final drives that makes them easily verifiable...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                            Thanks for the additional info. I am now in possession of a beautiful 1980 spline (yet to be installed) and its matching final drive (as I mentioned before), but now you've got me thinking I need to watch for a GK final drive.

I've often wished for 6th gear on my "G" so I'm guessing I'd be a touch happier if I upgraded the final drive to a "GK" unit. I wonder if there is a stamped designation on the "GK" final drives that makes them easily verifiable...
                            Planecrazy, you can have my rear end (geez, that doesn't sound good, eh?) for $1,000 including shipping. :-D

Seriously, however, I've never noticed any external differences among the rear ends. I'm certainly not going to take mine apart and examine it.

Good for you that you got an old driven spline set off a 1980. Keep it well lubed and it will last you indefinitely. The only thing better than one 1980 spline set is two such spline sets, each taking its turn "working" and "resting". That's what I have, one in each wheel.

Comment

Working...
                            X