headlight dims when directionals flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 450l The headlight dims when the directionals flash .Is this normal or a sign of charging problems.It does it even when the rpm is over 2000.The battery seems to hold a charge .

It ok as long as your charging system is good.It should only dim slightly.I just replaced my whole charging system and mine does that also.If you put it in neutral and turn your signal on your nuetral light will do the same thing.It's normal.Put a meter on the battery after you start it and make sure your getting between 13.8 to 14.5 volts at 2 or 3 grand.If so your charging system is good.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbarandi View Post
      1980 450l The headlight dims when the directionals flash .Is this normal or a sign of charging problems.It does it even when the rpm is over 2000.The battery seems to hold a charge .
      Don't know about the 2000 rpm as I only notice it when behind a car idling at a light when turning...I consider that a normal occurance within reason. If the headlight is bright white it isn't particularly noticeable...when my stator was going bad the light got dimmer and dimmer daily until the unit died completely a couple weeks later.

I also just use a plain old auto headlight and that may have a higher load than the original bike light?? It is still working after 2 years constant use.

Also I notice a higher voltage just after starting until the battery recovers then it stabilizes at about 13.3V from the original 14.

Comment

Get yourself a multi-meter if you don't already have one and follow the stator papers. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedwankel View Post
          Don't know about the 2000 rpm as I only notice it when behind a car idling at a light when turning...I consider that a normal occurance within reason. If the headlight is bright white it isn't particularly noticeable...when my stator was going bad the light got dimmer and dimmer daily until the unit died completely a couple weeks later.

I also just use a plain old auto headlight and that may have a higher load than the original bike light?? It is still working after 2 years constant use.

Also I notice a higher voltage just after starting until the battery recovers then it stabilizes at about 13.3V from the original 14.
          I just replace everthing in the elctrical circuit and get no lower than 13.8 all the time and 14.3 after start up.You might want to check your grounds on the battery and the r/r

Comment

This to me seems normal at some level, my bike has a new charging system in it and even when I am at 2000 rpm (at least I am pretty sure) the lights will dim, I usually notice it on my "console" the high beam light and the gear indicator light will dim with as the directionals flash by a small amount.

Follow the stator papers to make sure that you stator is working, and if it is, unless this is causing visibility problems, I wouldn't really worry about it, maybe just make sure your ground connectors and other electrical connectors are clean.

Comment

bad grounds. clean all your connections up and it will go away. its the main problem on the old bikes. the system will get old and crode and then start doing all kinds of strange stuff.

add a new ground to the bike frame from the motor and a second one from the battery to the motor. you can never have enuff grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by kurifu View Post
                This to me seems normal at some level, my bike has a new charging system in it and even when I am at 2000 rpm (at least I am pretty sure) the lights will dim, I usually notice it on my "console" the high beam light and the gear indicator light will dim with as the directionals flash by a small amount.

Follow the stator papers to make sure that you stator is working, and if it is, unless this is causing visibility problems, I wouldn't really worry about it, maybe just make sure your ground connectors and other electrical connectors are clean.
                You will see a slight difference but it shouldnt go off as if your lights are blinking too. It will be a very slight dimming.

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin View Post
                  bad grounds. clean all your connections up and it will go away. its the main problem on the old bikes. the system will get old and crode and then start doing all kinds of strange stuff.

add a new ground to the bike frame from the motor and a second one from the battery to the motor. you can never have enuff grounds.
                  I couldn't get better connections/grounds unless I soldered them and I refuse to do that. The slight dimming of all lites when the headlight is on makes me think there was a lower resistance/fewer watts in original factory bike headlights than in a new AutoZone automotive headlight. My voltmeter drops about .8 volt when I turn the headlight on and another .5 volt when I turn the high beam on but NO voltage change with the turn signal blinking. Voltage is pressure and amps are current but I don't have an ammeter on my bike - I have an approximate voltmeter/cheap. I'm not concerned with my second used stator functioning at 13.3Volts at idle/1100rpm and the headlight and brake lights on and flickering with a turnsignal.

I don't sweat the little stuff only when I can't stop or turn when I see the face of God at speed do I get motivated to make a change.

Comment

I have all new connections and just replace my stator r/r and battery last week.Im pushing over 14 volts and my charging system is perfect. all grounds are clean and I still have just a slight headlight dimming when my turn signal is on with a halogen headlight.I think all older bikes will do this.I also dont think they were made to run all the extra stuff people put on there newer bikes these days.If your system is putting out good voltage I wouldn't worry about a thing.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                      I think all older bikes will do this.
                      I would not limit that statement to just older bikes. :shock:
                      I ride a 2000 GoldWing that has the after-market 90-amp automotive alternator. \\/
                      I can still see the other lights flicker just a bit when the signals are on. 8-[

Let's face it, with two 1156 bulbs turning on (and off), they are drawing the same current as another headlight bulb.
                      This amounts to about a 40-50% surge in the electrical draw.
                      This will make just about any system choke, or at least hiccup just a little.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I would not limit that statement to just older bikes. :shock:
                        I ride a 2000 GoldWing that has the after-market 90-amp automotive alternator. \\/
                        I can still see the other lights flicker just a bit when the signals are on. 8-[

Let's face it, with two 1156 bulbs turning on (and off), they are drawing the same current as another headlight bulb.
                        This amounts to about a 40-50% surge in the electrical draw.
                        This will make just about any system choke, or at least hiccup just a little.

I have a fairing with 2 running lights plus a halogen headlight so when my turn signal is on I have all those plus gauge lights which my bike has all bulbs not to mention the back light and brake light if your at a 4 way and turning.Im light up like a christmas tree!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. The charging system checks out fine so i am just going to keep an eye on it and clean all my grounds again.

Comment

Check the orange wires on the fuse block Compare voltage to the battery voltage should be same. If not check the ign switch & wireing

Comment

Working...
                            X