new grips and throttle...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new grips and throttle...?

I see that these bikes have 7/8" bars - but with some sort of plastic sleeve that makes a 1" grip work on them. Anyone have any experience replacing grips - what is the process? How do you get the old ones off? (including the throttle assembly...)

Some cut them off. Some use heat. WD-40. Some use an air compressor. If you have new ones I'd cut them off.
    Last edited by chef1366; 06-23-2007, 06:32 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The new grips will be different sizes. One will have a larger I.D. to accomodate the throttle sleeve. Spray some hair spray inside the grips and slide them on. The hair spray will dry and act as an adhesive to hold the grips in place. Like Chef said, if you're replacing them simply cut the old ones off with a razor knife.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Since they might actually be glued on, cutting them off is generally the easiest way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by canaweb View Post
          I see that these bikes have 7/8" bars - but with some sort of plastic sleeve that makes a 1" grip work on them. Anyone have any experience replacing grips - what is the process? How do you get the old ones off? (including the throttle assembly...)
          Now is the time to consider replacing the handlebar if yours is less than perfect or doesn't fit you perfectly. The grips are expensive compared to the bar. Otherwise just cut them off like others have mentioned.

Comment

grips and - sleeve..

ok - I cut the old foam grips off - right end cap screwed off - left pulled off...

now - it looks like I can just use any grips made for 1" bars by sliding them over the sleeves as you guys mentioned...

BUT - there is a cheap looking plastic collar that won't slide past the sleeve - how do the sleeves come off? The right one is the whole twist throttle assembly - and I'm wondering if this whole thing can be replaced without a huge hassle.. I don't think its an expensive part...

any hidden screws I'm just not seeing? or does the twist throttle assembly and the sleeve on the other side just get cut off too?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X