Oh NO! headlights "fixed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh NO! headlights "fixed"

While on a trip last week, my headlight quit in the middle of a ride. Everyting else electric seems to be working, still. I took the bike to a dealer, and they told me that a relay was missing, and seemed to have fallen off the bike. They also said that there was power to the left switch, but not to the headlamp. As far as I knew, a 1982 GS1100GK did not have a headlamp relay, and that the relay they might have been talking about was the self cancelling signal light module I removed with little effect a few years ago. So far it seems like either a broken wire, or a bad ground. Could it be the diode in the headlamp? The dealer hotwired the headlamp directly to the ignition key, which eliminates hi and lo switching. I want to fix the job correctly. Your collective genius is humbly petitioned yet again.

HELP[-o<

John

Originally posted by GKjake View Post
    they told me that a relay was missing, and seemed to have fallen off the bike. They also said that there was power to the left switch, but not to the headlamp. As far as I knew, a 1982 GS1100GK did not have a headlamp relay, ......Could it be the diode in the headlamp? The dealer hotwired the headlamp directly to the ignition key, which eliminates hi and lo switching. I want to fix the job correctly.
    John
    Relay? Diode? News to me. Never saw one?

Three wires to headlight White for low beam and Yellow for high beam off light switch. Of course ground is B/W. Check for voltage to your on/off and dimmer switches and go from there.

I assume your tail/brake light still works? Also assuming an 82 still has the ability to turn off the headlight with a separate switch? I can't remember.

Shouldn't be a big deal as it's blankety blank light with two filaments.
    Dealers suck.

Comment

My 84 had a module that monitored brake/tail and headlamp, this would turn on a warning lap in the cluster. The lamp would flash for no reason intermittently so i found the module in the harness under the tank. It unplugs and the the harness plugs fit together hand in glove type thing. I thought I had cured the problem however I had no headlamp. turns out I had to cut off both plugs and splice the wires together in order to get the thing to work right.
      Dunno if this is related to your problem though
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

More Clarification regarding the headlights

My headlight does have the three required wires in the headlamp, and I was told by the dealer that there was power to the switch, but not to the headlamp bucket. That would indicate, I hope, that the bad section is between the switch and the headlamp. I was under the impression that there was some sort of diode in the headlamp bucket, but cannot find my manual, and so cannot check the scematics. I agree! It shouldn't be that hard! I think I will add relays to the high and filaments, powered from the battery, and switch power coming from the left high/low switch.

Has anyone done this? How ?
        By the way, I do not have the warning light you mention, so this should be one less piece of worry.

Thanks in advance

John

Comment

My headlight does have the three required wires in the headlamp, and I was told by the dealer that there was power to the switch, but not to the headlamp bucket. That would indicate, I hope, that the bad section is between the switch and the headlamp. John

Or in the switch itself!!! Take nothing for granted.

Comment

I was told by the dealer that there was power to the switch, but not to the headlamp bucket. That would indicate, I hope, that the bad section is between the switch and the headlamp.
            Or it could be the switch itself. Does your '82 GK actually have a switch on the left handgrip? If it does have one, it is likely blocked off so it can't be moved. I would take the handgrip apart and check the leads to the switch with a test light. Could be you only have dirty contacts in the switch. 8-[

If I remember correctly (happens less and less frequently these days ), power flows from the switch to the beam selector, then to the headlight bucket. Just giving you a couple places to use your test light.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, Steve.

I meant the hi/lo indicator. I am sure that the on off switch was a thing of the past by the early 1980s. for sure, the 82 had constant on lights.

Thanks, I will test the switch, as well as the wiring between the switch and the headlamp. I will also add a relay, in order to make sure the most power is going to the bulb, and that the wiring will not fail at a critical time. That way, I will only need power from the switch to work the relays, as the power to the lights themselves is coming from the fused wire from the battery.
              John

Comment

Working...
              X