Do these carb pics tell you anthing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these carb pics tell you anthing?

I just pulled the carbs to rebuild and am heading off to pull everything including the cyliders replace gaskets damaged by gas in the crankcase. I can't stand oil leaks any more and they are getting worse. Here are pics of the carbs. Note the #1 & #2 butterflys are darker/sooty looking. Wondering what this may mean :???: .

Have you/can you do a leakdown test? The first thought I had was poorly seating intake valves.

Comment

I haven't done a leak-down test. I'm not even sure how to do it or what equipment I would need. I'm guessing the Clymer manual would tell me. I replaced the intake boots and o-rings a couple of months ago so it could be something left over from the old ones leaking. Don't think so but . . . . I'm planning to have the valves lapped & guide seals replaced anyway in addition to honing or boring cylinders as necessary. This bike gets 350-400 highway miles a week put on it.

Comment

Where the heck is Caddo Mills?

Comment

OK, txironhead, I just did a quick search on my mapping program and located it. \\/

Caddo Mills is:
          8 miles northeast of Nevada
          35 miles east of Frisco
          55 miles southwest of Paris
          70 miles southwest of Detroit
          72 miles northeast of Italy
          86 miles west of Omaha.

Really! 8-[

Oh, and it's 280 miles north and just a little west of YOU.

Last edited by Steve; 06-24-2007, 01:37 AM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Giblet,

Depending on the mileage your bike has, there are other items you may want to inspect/have inspected when your engine is apart. My knowledge is not GS specific (yet), but I'm thinking cam chain/guide for starters. Searching these forums will give you info on that topic. And for future reference, a leakdown test is basically just pressurizing your cylinder with air and measuring how quickly that air 'leaks down'. It gives an indication of the overall condition of your cylinder walls, rings, valves/seats, etc. A good thing to do when checking out a used bike before purchase and for troubleshooting. Sounds like you put on a lot of miles. And you can probably ride 10 months of the year too. Lucky.

Comment

I would suggest that on numbers 3 and 4 (the sooty ones) the inlet valves may not be fully seating or burnt. If you did a compression test or an leak test I suspect that 3 and 4 would be lower than the others.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                I would suggest that on numbers 3 and 4 (the sooty ones) the inlet valves may not be fully seating or burnt. If you did a compression test or an leak test I suspect that 3 and 4 would be lower than the others.

Suzuki mad
                Numbers 1&2 are the sooty ones. :shock:

The pictures show the butterfly valves, therefore it is the engine side of the carbs.
                The cylinders (and, therefore, the carbs) are numbered from clutch hand to throttle hand, left to right, while seated on the bike.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yep, your right.

I was writing and looking at them from the picture.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    OK, txironhead, I just did a quick search on my mapping program and located it. \\/

Caddo Mills is:
                    8 miles northeast of Nevada
                    35 miles east of Frisco
                    55 miles southwest of Paris
                    70 miles southwest of Detroit
                    72 miles northeast of Italy
                    86 miles west of Omaha.

Really! 8-[

Oh, and it's 280 miles north and just a little west of YOU.

Someone has way too much time on his hands.....:-D

Comment

Originally posted by jlgace View Post
                      And you can probably ride 10 months of the year too. Lucky.
                      10 months? A good leather jacket and some glove and boot liners and we're good year round!

Honestly, in most places in Texas it doesn't snow, rarely freezes, the most you get is cold rain. I've worn shorts on Christmas. I tell people we have two seasons here: summer and late fall.

Granted, riding in a cold rain is not my idea of fun, and sitting out a sleet storm under a tin-roofed car wash (can you say loud?) was an hour I'd rather not relive. Of course, my neighbor down the street won't take his '05 Boulevard (290 miles on it, crying shame) out of the garage if the wind is blowing harder than 15mph.

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                        Where the heck is Caddo Mills?
                        the term "middle of BFE" comes to mind.

Steve, shout if you need any help. (am a bit hurt you didn't say anything )

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post

Nope, lived there. That's farther south, near McCook, TX. I know, I had a voltage regulator go out there, back when only the rich folks had cell phones. Cooking your battery so bad the taillight won't even come on at 2am on a two-lane, no shoulder road is not fun!

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                            Someone has way too much time on his hands.....:-D
                            Yeah, I've got some extra time, AND a delightfully warped map.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post

Steve, shout if you need any help. (am a bit hurt you didn't say anything )
                              What makes you think I wasn't going to call? You KNOW I'm gonna be on the line at some point. I was just curious about the sooty flutterbys. I didn't decide to do this for sure till Friday night. Plan was to get it ready to go back together before I called you. OT is wearing me out so my windows of opportunity keep moving around. I'm kinda mulling over a big bore kit but will probably just go as inexpensive as I can while still getting a good fix. Got to get her going soon so we can make a ride, besides, i'm getting really testy.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2007, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X